Hypercar racing - the rebirth of GT1?

• StueyB83
  • StueyB83's Avatar Topic Author
  • GT-Report.com
More
09 Feb 2018 14:49 #10799 by StueyB83
StueyB83 created the topic: Hypercar racing - the rebirth of GT1?
With more and more brands developing some insane top level machinery the question must be asked; why isn't there a racing derivative?

Prototypes have their place but surely theres room between them and GTE for a new generation of GT1?

McLaren Senna, Aston Valkyrie etc.

The FIA should take the initiative of setting up a new GT1 formula based on road going hybrid supercar tech - within reason to prevent things getting stupid - and watching it go from there. Have a minimum true build volume too.

I reckon it would be great to see the SCGs of the world vs AM vs McLaren etc.

Thoughts?

Mech Eng. & Scribe for GT-Report.com

For deciding what to spray on your podium celebrations: champagnetipplers.wordpress.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2018 14:54 #10800 by Ryan Lee
Ryan Lee replied the topic: Hypercar racing - the rebirth of GT1?
As much as I love the idea... You can just see this becoming the biggest cash spiral since GT1 haha

• StueyB83
  • GT-Report.com
More
09 Feb 2018 15:04 #10802 by StueyB83
StueyB83 replied the topic: Hypercar racing - the rebirth of GT1?
I know hey... But that's worthy of GT1

I was feeling rules like... 2 seats, carbon tub based, standardised Hybrid deployment in location and type. Minimum and maximum dimensions. Very specific aero dimensions.

Specific engine configuration rules.

Look at the Senna vs the SCG 003 visually anyway - they have a number of similarities.

For deciding what to spray on your podium celebrations: champagnetipplers.wordpress.com/

More
09 Feb 2018 16:50 #10808 by Ryan Lee
Ryan Lee replied the topic: Hypercar racing - the rebirth of GT1?
But i think that in lies the problem. Having a category that the Manufacturers invest in with these hypercars, then limiting the shit out of them would to me, be a fail. You're keeping the costs low, but from a manufacturer's point, they won't want an SCG running competitively to their multi million dollar babies ;)

Don't get me wrong, its something i'd love to see but i think if it were to happen, it would be a very short and sweet venture.

• James3592
  • Away
More
09 Feb 2018 23:34 #10813 by James3592
James3592 replied the topic: Hypercar racing - the rebirth of GT1?

StueyB83 wrote: With more and more brands developing some insane top level machinery the question must be asked; why isn't there a racing derivative?

Prototypes have their place but surely theres room between them and GTE for a new generation of GT1?

The FIA should take the initiative of setting up a new GT1 formula based on road going hybrid supercar tech - within reason to prevent things getting stupid - and watching it go from there. Have a minimum true build volume too.

Thoughts?

YES! YES! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!

Laferrari, 918, P1, (all on steroids) Vulcan, throw a racing Koenigsegg in there too, maybe even a Bugatti and the upcoming AMG hypercar. This would seriously capture the imagination of plenty of petrolheads. A world series of fire-breathing monsters. Sign me up.

Probably unlikely though.

More
10 Feb 2018 14:24 #10820 by RedZedMikey
RedZedMikey replied the topic: Hypercar racing - the rebirth of GT1?

James3592 wrote:

StueyB83 wrote: With more and more brands developing some insane top level machinery the question must be asked; why isn't there a racing derivative?

Thoughts?

YES! YES! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!

Laferrari, 918, P1, (all on steroids) Vulcan, throw a racing Koenigsegg in there too, maybe even a Bugatti and the upcoming AMG hypercar. This would seriously capture the imagination of plenty of petrolheads. A world series of fire-breathing monsters. Sign me up.

Probably unlikely though.

Much sooner see that than LMP1 ... cost comparison???

More
11 Feb 2018 09:28 #10824 by CP
CP replied the topic: Hypercar racing - the rebirth of GT1?
The ACO realising they fucked up being against IMSA DPi would be more likely than a rebirthed GT1 class.

• StueyB83
  • GT-Report.com
More
12 Feb 2018 14:39 #10838 by StueyB83
StueyB83 replied the topic: Hypercar racing - the rebirth of GT1?
It has its challenges. GT1 of the 90s was awesome but the openess of the rules interpretation dialled up costs.

Toyota arguing you could stick the required "suitcase" in the space where the fuel tank went, for instance.

I think a specific yet generous build formula would help. Really define some critical aspects and challenge designers - but more so than the past... The rest is free reign.

• Miguel
  • GT REPORT
More
15 Feb 2018 09:21 #10852 by Miguel
Miguel replied the topic: Hypercar racing - the rebirth of GT1?
We already have a GT class that allows for pretty much unrestricted designs. And it's good we don't talk about that aspect of GT3 very often because it means all the manufacturers are behaving.

Time to create page: 0.292 seconds