2018 Nissan GT-R GT3.

• maverick
  • maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
25 Apr 2017 16:41 #6431 by maverick
maverick created the topic: 2018 Nissan GT-R GT3.

Statistically most "rock spiders" have spent some time in their lives as a church youth group leader.
Think about that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2017 18:54 #6435 by Ryan Lee
Ryan Lee replied the topic: 2018 Nissan GT-R GT3.
Attachments:
The following user(s) liked this post: Nath

• maverick
  • maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
25 Apr 2017 18:55 - 25 Apr 2017 18:56 #6436 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: 2018 Nissan GT-R GT3.

Ryan Lee wrote:

Lol.

Statistically most "rock spiders" have spent some time in their lives as a church youth group leader.
Think about that.
Last Edit: 25 Apr 2017 18:56 by maverick.

More
25 Apr 2017 19:04 #6439 by JFinken
JFinken replied the topic: 2018 Nissan GT-R GT3.
Looks to be more evolution than revolution. The front is changed to keep up with the 2017 road car, but with larger openings for cooling, and the side sill boxes for the exhaust pipes is significantly taller. The wing seems to be a little lower.

Dailysportscar speculates that it will use a 2 liter turbo engine. Not sure how that is allowed, but if true It will improve the weaker points of the car, which according to Ian Willis from AIM was front heavy weight distribution (57:43) and high centre of gravity.

• StueyB83
  • GT-Report.com
More
25 Apr 2017 19:27 - 25 Apr 2017 21:27 #6442 by StueyB83
StueyB83 replied the topic: 2018 Nissan GT-R GT3.
To me it looks like a complete overhaul - you couldn't get an older model and upgrade it, the changes are too significant.

So more like a new build to the latest regs.

This is what I noticed;

Front:

Grille change is the most significant change - the latest road model incorporated. The front cowl that divides the grille is much smaller than previous models. I reckon the outer intakes on the top section has picked up driver cooling duties - because the NACA ducts in the bonnet that did this previously are all gone.

The nose also seems to be a bit longer than previous models - making the whole car appear more streamlined - not as stubby nosed as before.

This can be done because the radiator has been repositioned significantly. It is now placed further down low and tilted over like heaps of other new GT3 cars to reduce the height of front grille opening taken up. They also made the opening wider by squeezing down the side winglets that came from the Nismo GT-R road car smaller (they do the front brakes, BTW).

This is the 2015 front - note the vertical radiator/intercoolers:

When you play around with radiators that means the engine inside has also been modded in some way - I reckon it my have been dropped to lower centre of gravity. In previous versions it sits quite high up - this is the 2014 spec;

The other noticeable thing is the much cleaner bonnet.. no more random ducts and vents everywhere. The front no longer has the old GT1 style 3x6 looking arrangement - just 4 big slots now in the middle - which indicates potentially some kind of ducting through the radiator and out the bonnet, which previous versions didn't have.

The reduced clutter also reduces drag - so expect the car to punch through the air a little better.

I thought the front splitter was changed to make it more aggressive, but I think the day glow red trim is playing with my eyes - it's almost exactly the same from 2015

The front dive planes also get tweaked - either the top ones angle of attack is reduced or the lower one is steepened - but they kind of meet each other at the wheel arch now. Also the vertical lip on them has been reduced.

Mech Eng. & Scribe for GT-Report.com

For deciding what to spray on your podium celebrations: champagnetipplers.wordpress.com/
Last Edit: 25 Apr 2017 21:27 by StueyB83.
The following user(s) liked this post: Nath, JFinken, Ryan Lee

• StueyB83
  • GT-Report.com
More
25 Apr 2017 19:51 - 25 Apr 2017 20:43 #6444 by StueyB83
Side;

Some big changes here.

First, is the wheels. The Rays engineering 6 spoke items are gone - likely for an even lighter design - new thin 8 spoke items (if I've counted the blurs correctly).

The next - the side skirts. They are now much taller - up to the bottom of the door, and Nismo has now opened them right up and filled them in with mesh. I think this is to beef up the cooling of the exhaust system - which gets notoriously hot - the Cat convertor sits right at the front of the skirt and makes the foot-well scorchingly hot so some form of mediation helps - maybe they have moved the cat convertor to the sides of the car? The exhaust also moves back beyond the doors, rather than exit smack in the middle of the car.

The towing eye also moved - from the front to the bonnet in front of the passenger side window!.

This points to a structural change under the skin - perhaps a victim of reconfiguring items in the engine bay to improve centre of gravity, or just to remove weight from the front of the car to improve weight distribution - or both!

Cant really tell from the current photos - but it does look like the roof hatch has also been added...

Lastly, the new car has front wheel arch ducts - which previous models have not had (2015 model shown below).

For deciding what to spray on your podium celebrations: champagnetipplers.wordpress.com/
Last Edit: 25 Apr 2017 20:43 by StueyB83.

• StueyB83
  • GT-Report.com
More
25 Apr 2017 20:24 - 25 Apr 2017 23:25 #6445 by StueyB83
The rear:

One significant change here - it appears the rear wing has been lowered a fair bit - and has the visual appearance of being hung a bit further out the back (but it my be the truncated uprights need shallower angles for the lower height).

This reduces the drag of the car, and gives it more straight line punch. Also, any potential moving of the rear wing further back helps it at VLN (thanks Miguel) because they implemented a rule where wings need to move forward 100mm since the Flugplatz crash.

The endplates have also been chopped down and revised.

The rear bumper has had a few cosmetic changes but nothing functional.

The rear diffuser appears to be taller - but I think its actually that the strakes have been extended further out the back, giving an illusion that the depth of the diffuser has increased.

And that's everything I can see. No pics of engine bays or interior so that would be pure guess work.

I think it looks the business though - Nissan definately have brought the car up to equivalency with the newest makes.

Last Edit: 25 Apr 2017 23:25 by StueyB83.

More
25 Apr 2017 20:25 - 25 Apr 2017 20:26 #6446 by Ryan Lee
without seeing a side on shot, it almost looks like it has a lower height at the nose. **edit, looking at the above images, it does look like the nose does have more of a downwards angle on it
Last Edit: 25 Apr 2017 20:26 by Ryan Lee.

• Miguel
  • GT REPORT
More
25 Apr 2017 20:36 #6447 by Miguel
Miguel replied the topic: 2018 Nissan GT-R GT3.
The front of the car is longer. I really, really love this look. Finally the GT-R is starting to look like a road GT-R. No more Chinese body kit, but a really sleek, thought-out design.

• StueyB83
  • GT-Report.com
More
25 Apr 2017 20:36 - 25 Apr 2017 20:37 #6448 by StueyB83

Ryan Lee wrote: without seeing a side on shot, it almost looks like it has a lower height at the nose. **edit, looking at the above images, it does look like the nose does have more of a downwards angle on it

To me, it seems the nose seems to be a bit longer than previous models - making the whole car appear more streamlined - not as stubby nosed as before. Thats why the front grille looks smaller - and to me the front diffuser doesn't stick out so far...

Last Edit: 25 Apr 2017 20:37 by StueyB83.

• StueyB83
  • GT-Report.com
More
25 Apr 2017 20:38 #6449 by StueyB83

Miguel wrote: The front of the car is longer. I really, really love this look. Finally the GT-R is starting to look like a road GT-R. No more Chinese body kit, but a really sleek, thought-out design.

That what I thought too - the front grille protrudes more out the front.

More
25 Apr 2017 21:05 - 25 Apr 2017 21:14 #6456 by JFinken
You might be right in that it is a bigger change than what i thought at first glance Stuey. Still more like smaller improvements here and there rather than a completely new car in my opinion.

There seems to be angled radiator(s), with the top tilting forwards and exit out of the bonnet vents like you say. The tall side sill skirts and rear exhaust exit are not completely new. The cars used in VLN and Nür 24h have had these enlarged skirts and exhaust exit for some reason. Also the vents/ducts on top of the wheel arches are there, and both these features are on the new 2018. Probably to reduce the need for extra parts/costs to participate in different races.

VLN and Nür 24H here

Vs Standard type 2015

And 2018

The front calipers are also relocated from front to rear,of the wheel centerline to improve weight distribution.

Will be interesting to see if the engine is new. Personally i think it´s the same, only mounted slightly lower and further back and possbly with a carbon inlet manifold to save weight compared to the stock cart aluminium unit. (Like the Bentley)

The change in the location of the towing eye could be from new regulations, but i don´t know.
Last Edit: 25 Apr 2017 21:14 by JFinken.
The following user(s) liked this post: Richo, StueyB83

• StueyB83
  • GT-Report.com
More
25 Apr 2017 21:16 - 25 Apr 2017 21:23 #6461 by StueyB83

JFinken wrote: You might be right in that it is a bigger change than what i thought at first glance Stuey. Still more like smaller improvements here and there rather than a completely new car in my opinion.

There seems to be angled radiator(s), with the top tilting forwards and exit out of the bonnet vents like you say. The tall side sill skirts and exhaust exit are not completely new. The cars used in VLN and Nür 24h have had these enlarged skirts for some reason. Also the vents/ducts on top of the wheel arches are there, and both these features are on the new 2018. Probably to reduce the need for extra parts/costs to participate in different races.

VLN and Nür 24H here

Vs Standard type 2015

And 2018

The front calipers are also relocated from front to rear,of the wheel centerline to improve weight distribution.

Will be interesting to see if the engine is new. Personally i think it´s the same, only mounted slightly lower and further back and possbly with a carbon inlet manifold to save weight compared to the stock cart aluminium unit. (Like the Bentley)

The change in the location of the towing eye could be from new regulations, but i don´t know.

Good spot on the side skirts from the VLN cars JFinken! I can clearly see the troublesome Cat convetor in what looks like a makeshift skirt. They would have been allowed that mod due to safety - given in its old location it really ramped up the cockpit temps beyond what was safe. One of the Hobson drivers said he needed water poured on his feet during the 12 hour!

And great spot on the brake locations - bringing them back (surprised they didn't do that earlier!)

My theory is that the front cross member that mounted the original towing eyes has been "optimised" for holding the front of the car together and not strong enough to pull the car by. They may have trimmed it for more room, or for less weight. I too also think the engine is the same... the GT committee would shoot a full-on race engine such as that used by the GT500 down in flames from a full manufacturer.

Last Edit: 25 Apr 2017 21:23 by StueyB83.
The following user(s) liked this post: JFinken

More
25 Apr 2017 21:38 - 25 Apr 2017 21:55 #6462 by JFinken

StueyB83 wrote:
Good spot on the side skirts from the VLN cars JFinken! I can clearly see the troublesome Cat convetor in what looks like a makeshift skirt. They would have been allowed that mod due to safety - given in its old location it really ramped up the cockpit temps beyond what was safe. One of the Hobson drivers said he needed water poured on his feet during the 12 hour!

And great spot on the brake locations - bringing them back (surprised they didn't do that earlier!)

My theory is that the front cross member that mounted the original towing eyes has been "optimised" for holding the front of the car together and not strong enough to pull the car by. They may have trimmed it for more room, or for less weight. I too also think the engine is the same... the GT committee would shoot a full-on race engine such as that used by the GT500 down in flames from a full manufacturer.

Yeah, you are probably right about the cats, I found a picture of the old location and it seems this is not exactly optimal for keeping the driver compartment cool. By moving it rear it will improve both cooling and weight distribution but needs bigger skirts.
It seems the exhausts and related heat build up on this car is a BIG issue for the development engineers. No other car has these huge side skirt things, like the comparable Bentley and BMW M6 with front mounted twin turbo V engines.

About the engine: True, and a 2 liter turbo wouldn´t need 2 exhausts either, when I think about it:)

Interesting btw that the early models (2012?) had the exhausts straight out the sides on the front. This certainly looks much better.
Last Edit: 25 Apr 2017 21:55 by JFinken.

• StueyB83
  • GT-Report.com
More
25 Apr 2017 23:17 - 25 Apr 2017 23:22 #6466 by StueyB83

JFinken wrote:
Yeah, you are probably right about the cats, I found a picture of the old location and it seems this is not exactly optimal for keeping the driver compartment cool. By moving it rear it will improve both cooling and weight distribution but needs bigger skirts.
It seems the exhausts and related heat build up on this car is a BIG issue for the development engineers. No other car has these huge side skirt things, like the comparable Bentley and BMW M6 with front mounted twin turbo V engines.

About the engine: True, and a 2 liter turbo wouldn´t need 2 exhausts either, when I think about it:)

Interesting btw that the early models (2012?) had the exhausts straight out the sides on the front. This certainly looks much better.

Yep I think it's totally busted. The GT500 Turbo 4 only needs one exhaust:

Right side

Left Side

Last Edit: 25 Apr 2017 23:22 by StueyB83.
The following user(s) liked this post: Nath, JFinken

More
12 Feb 2018 20:43 #10841 by JFinken
The new 2018 Nismo GT3 was unveiled today. It seems you were more right than me StueyB83, quite a drastic change from the old car.

The cage extends all the way forward to the suspension mounts unlike the old car, and the engine is moved down and rear towards the firewall, almost behind the front axle. Hard to see how low it is in the video.

The radiator and intercooler are mounted almost horisontal compared to the standard vertical mount on the previous model. The cats are now in the sideskirts, intead of the wheelwells.

<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe src="
" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

The previous model for comparison

Attachments:
The following user(s) liked this post: Richo, mayhem, Pierre

More
12 Feb 2018 21:08 #10842 by Ryan Lee
And, there has been 2 confirmed for GT Asia

• StueyB83
  • GT-Report.com
More
13 Feb 2018 10:57 #10846 by StueyB83
Great post Jarle!

The new GT-R just aligns with the latest GT3 build trends. When I went over the 2014 and 2015 spec cars last year (Thanks, Hobson) it surprised me how much road car configuration was still in there - so I knew the overhaul would bring it up to date with GT3 tech today.

Interesting changes to the front - as I suspected the entire radiator and intercooler assemblies are now both fully tunnelled out (via two separate tunnels) through the bonnet hood - for much improved aerodynamics as well as lower centre of gravity (great to see Paul Weel Racing Aussie tech in there, too).

As much of the old road car structure across the front of the car is omited - as in - none of it is left, everything in front of the chassis rails is chopped out - hence the lack of a structural pull point for recovery. The Roll Cage - and bracing now tie into the front suspension turrets unlike before, for massive gains in stiffness as well as to structurally support the entire front of the car.

All of the cooling assembly is supported by the front splitter which bolts to the chassis rails. Perhaps the road cars front length was slightly increased so that the homologated race car could have more front real estate inside the engine bay?

The engine position is a drastic change - I didn't think it could be moved that far! But again like you say - better weight distribution and lower CoG. It drops out through the bottom of the car when its up for ease of servicing.

You can see the entire rear transaxle and subframe assembly sitting on the floor in the top right at 14 seconds.

Can't see if the intake manifold has changed - its still looks like its aluminium.

The old GT-R GT3 was a bit porky in weight. I reckon around 50-100kg has been cut in this version.

Aside from that - the wheel style change, change in caliper location, Cat converter heat changes and safety regulation compulsory changes all add up to make for a dynamically improved car - completely different in build from the old car.

Better Aero, much, much improved weight distribution.

I reckon this makes the car much more consistent over a stint - which you cant really BoP.

The following user(s) liked this post: RedZedMikey, The conversationalist formally known as Goat69, Miguel, Nath, JFinken

More
26 Feb 2018 09:43 #10933 by Richo
Richo replied the topic: 2018 Nissan GT-R GT3.
Shakedown video from Fuji

The following user(s) liked this post: RedZedMikey, Nath, kiwikid_1

More
26 Feb 2018 13:38 #10935 by RedZedMikey
RedZedMikey replied the topic: 2018 Nissan GT-R GT3.
Nice to see. Hopefully we'll get to see 1 (or 2) down here next year for the 12 Hour, but that might depend on whether Nissan Oz or Nissan Global funds it.

Time to create page: 0.470 seconds