John Casey on shakedown.

  • maverick
  • maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 May 2017 14:56 #6826 by maverick
maverick created the topic: John Casey on shakedown.
Very happy to announce that Bathurst 12 hour event director John Casey has kindly agreed to call into shakedown to answer any questions that you may have.
I'll give everyone a little time, but please don't leave it too long.

Statistically most "rock spiders" have spent some time in their lives as a church youth group leader.
Think about that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2017 16:50 - 16 May 2017 16:55 #6830 by porsche91722
porsche91722 replied the topic: John Casey on shakedown.
Hi John.
Not a question and certainly no complaints from me, just some advice.........Don't change anything. Any additional class A all pro entries would be great. You guys have just about got it perfect and well done on a brilliant event. I had to ask myself after this years race whether anything could possibly be improved. The only thing I could possibly think of was the qualifying.
Would you be looking at going back to the qual session on the Sat afternoon? I realize that the shootout appears to be the preferred option for the TV viewers, but from what I was hearing around the circuit, that a timed session for the class A guys was a more popular and usually nailbiting way to set the grid for Sunday.
Can I just throw this in here.......? It's not a whinge, just a suggestion, re merch. Maybe you can pass it on to one of the merchandise people, to act on. A plain black COTTON Tee shirt with circuit map and B12H logo. I bought one of this years shirts, no complaints, except that it's nylon....bloody hot in Australia.
Once again, thankyou and well done on a brilliant event this year. I've got my accommodation for 2018 booked already.

"At the end of the day, endurance racing is the ultimate test for man and machine and that hasn’t changed a bit in the last 50 years" - Chris Amon
porsche91722.wordpress.com/
Last Edit: 16 May 2017 16:55 by porsche91722.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2017 14:45 - 17 May 2017 14:46 #6846 by velly4
velly4 replied the topic: John Casey on shakedown.
Thanks for joining us John.
Couple of questions for you.
1. What impact does the pending sale of Supercars by Archer have on the 12HR? Obviously it's going to be part of the deal.

2. Are organisers being proactive in maintaining the event as a fan friendly event? My number concern with the Supercars ownership it would start going down the 1000 path with super restrictive rules and security absolutely everywhere. I do understand you have requirements of health and safety of patrons etc but things have gone to far. Address the problem people not blanket restrictions on everyone.

I went to Le Mans in 2007 and was blown away by how the event is run and managed, made our Australian events look very very poor.
Last Edit: 17 May 2017 14:46 by velly4.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • StueyB83
  • StueyB83's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
  • GT-Report.com
More
17 May 2017 16:57 #6849 by StueyB83
StueyB83 replied the topic: John Casey on shakedown.
Hi John,

Thanks for coming by!

I firstly, want to thank you for your efforts on keeping the 12 hour mostly the same for the last 2 years - the formula works well and like most guys here, myself and a crew of 4 mates/brothers make the pilgrimage to the mountain to watch the GT3's hit the track year on year.

I really liked what you are doing with the front entrance area - turning it into something of a showcase. I myself don't walk through there too much because I prefer being in the paddock, but I can see the vibe. I also like reading that you aim to turn Bathurst into a exotic car enthusiasts haven over the weekend - and that is reflected by the continuous growth of niche car clubs turning up.

Speaking of the paddock, please don't change the current accessibility - its refreshing to gawk up close but at the same time not get in the way of any body.

A small suggestion I have is;

Reduce the manufacturers demo laps - and replace them with the manufacturers lap record challenge. While it only got one car this year (the AMG) I can see this being something more makes can be involved with. Even more so with some exposure and trackside commentary. Nothing verifies a lap record like a couple of thousands of eyes looking on, whereas the Nurburgring runs are done in secrecy.

Also, while maybe not part of your bag of concerns - the Porsche track day on the Monday was not advertised well enough to camping patrons (No mention of it in the mail-out I received with my passes, no mention when I signed in, and No signage advertising such around the camp ground) and I saw a lot of camper trailers marooned for hours waiting for the roads to open again at midday, with some very annoyed patrons (rumours of fisticuffs did the rounds).


Aside from these, the event is fantastic and will be back again next year.

Mech Eng. & Scribe for GT-Report.com

For deciding what to spray on your podium celebrations: champagnetipplers.wordpress.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2017 03:11 - 21 May 2017 03:13 #6926 by Mechanic Z
Mechanic Z replied the topic: John Casey on shakedown.
Hello John,
I'm from the US, so I have not been to the Bathurst 12hr in person, but the fun, fan-friendly atmosphere comes through in the broadcast. You guys have a fantastic event there, keep up the good work! Thank you for continuing to provide a live stream so that those of us across the globe can enjoy the event, it's become something I look forward to watching every year.

I'm not sure if this is something you would be aware of yet, but do you see a potential for more GT4 cars competing in the 12 hr in 2018?
Last Edit: 21 May 2017 03:13 by Mechanic Z.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2017 10:09 #6946 by Cozzy858
Cozzy858 replied the topic: John Casey on shakedown.
How do i get a job to be involved with Australia's greatest race? :P

Seriously thou love the event keep up the good work its amazing to see how much its growing each year as Stuey said some of the exhibits as you walk in is amazing getting up close to the road going versions of the amazing GT3 cars we see on track is amazing just need a couple more Audi's :P.

Also the access to the teams and drivers for this event is something i hope remains the same everyone in the paddock is so friendly and more then happy most times to show the fans around the cars and explain bits and pieces about the GT3 vs road versions its great and i hope something that doesn't get to restricted in the future.

Sorry kind of just rambling on haha my question is are there any big plans going forward to make the event ever better then it is now ( dont get me wrong the way it is now is amazing ) and i cant wait until the 2018 race already planning with my mates getting ready for next years race eagerly awaiting being able to purchase tickets and campsites again so it starts to feel like its almost here again :D.

Thanks mate
The following user(s) liked this post: Nardulas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2017 12:21 #6947 by Ryan Lee
Ryan Lee replied the topic: John Casey on shakedown.
I think from the last few years being able to access the pits on a Thursday afternoon/evening to watch the teams working on the cars is great. But, I have found the security close the gates so you have to duck through the garages to get out. Whilst most teams are happy to accommodate I don't see why the gates need to be closed. Is there a reason or is this something that can be altered in the future?

Also, is there a way to limit the gazebo structures and things similar to only at the top of the hills at each spectator areas? It can be hard as a spectator like myself who prefers to roam the entire circuit as opposed to being stationary seeing as structures can severely limit viewing ability.

All things aside, looking forward to 2018 B12hr!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2017 12:54 #6948 by Nardulas
Nardulas replied the topic: John Casey on shakedown.
Thanks for stopping by John, just about all of us love your work.

Do you have any big plans for the future that you can reveal to us here?

As far as feedback goes, I love the event. Entry & camping prices are reasonable, there is great access to the paddock, the live stream is excellent for people that can't attend. I'm not a fan of people putting up gazebos across the top of the mountain, but there is an obvious need for shade on 40+ degree days.

Perhaps as entries dwindle in class B, the Porsche Cup Cars could be incorporated into class I? They are comparable on lap times with the Marc V8's from memory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • maverick
  • maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
26 May 2017 15:07 - 26 May 2017 15:14 #7054 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: John Casey on shakedown.
Thanks for joining us John.
Firstly a huge congratulations and thanks for playing your role in a magnificent world class event.
Please do your best to ensure that the pits/garage areas remain spectator friendly as it's a major drawcard for many fans.
This year's event was again a great one, but it seems that the lack of GT on track action on the Saturday is an issue. Personally I'd love to see the qualifying format of 2016 brought back as the build up through the day was an exciting part of the event. I'm personally not a fan of the shootout as it's all too slow.
Obviously you can't give much away, however is an all GT field imminent ?
Has the possibility of the cars being driving into town and being paraded for a short period of time been looked at as they do for Spa ?
Has the option of extending the event to 4 days been looked at ?
Whatever your paying your scouts, please pay them double and get the likes of Grasser, Black Falcon & Rowe racing down here :)
A big thumbs up for the work that Craillsy performs for the event.
Thanks again for your efforts.

Statistically most "rock spiders" have spent some time in their lives as a church youth group leader.
Think about that.
Last Edit: 26 May 2017 15:14 by maverick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • maverick
  • maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
27 May 2017 07:38 #7074 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: John Casey on shakedown.
I've let John know that we're ready for him and he'll be calling in on Monday or Tuesday, so you've still got a couple of days to ask him a question(s).

Statistically most "rock spiders" have spent some time in their lives as a church youth group leader.
Think about that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2017 15:00 #7132 by johnCasey
johnCasey replied the topic: John Casey on shakedown.
Thank you for this. the t-shirt point is easy, cotton it is for 2018 !
With regards to qualifying, a shootout does give us the opportunity to be on TV - which gives the event great visibility. It has the added benefit of allowing you to promote the telecast for Sunday. I don't think there is a qualifying formula that everyone will agree with - but we are keen to go around again with the Shootout.

porsche91722 wrote: Hi John.
Not a question and certainly no complaints from me, just some advice.........Don't change anything. Any additional class A all pro entries would be great. You guys have just about got it perfect and well done on a brilliant event. I had to ask myself after this years race whether anything could possibly be improved. The only thing I could possibly think of was the qualifying.
Would you be looking at going back to the qual session on the Sat afternoon? I realize that the shootout appears to be the preferred option for the TV viewers, but from what I was hearing around the circuit, that a timed session for the class A guys was a more popular and usually nailbiting way to set the grid for Sunday.
Can I just throw this in here.......? It's not a whinge, just a suggestion, re merch. Maybe you can pass it on to one of the merchandise people, to act on. A plain black COTTON Tee shirt with circuit map and B12H logo. I bought one of this years shirts, no complaints, except that it's nylon....bloody hot in Australia.
Once again, thankyou and well done on a brilliant event this year. I've got my accommodation for 2018 booked already.

The following user(s) liked this post: maverick, porsche91722

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2017 15:06 #7134 by johnCasey
johnCasey replied the topic: John Casey on shakedown.
1: I do not believe the sale (if it occurs) of Archer Capital's 65% share will have any impact on the event. Any prospective buyer will see that the event is growing - and that it has a personality and atmosphere very distinct from Supercars.
2. It is our objective to retain the feel of the event. We have no plans to change anything radically. Some things can be improved for sure - and we will continue to do that - but it will always be the 12 Hour !
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2017 15:14 #7135 by johnCasey
johnCasey replied the topic: John Casey on shakedown.
Thank you very much for your comments.
Our vision for the 12 hour is to make it a great event for people who love cars - both on track and off track. it will take time to build - but that is the plan.
It is important for the event that car manufacturers have an opportunity to showcase their road cars as well as their race cars. The main entrance is designed to be the place where they can do that.
I Hear you on Paddock access. No changes planned here. We have been careful to keep the event accessible and good value. That won't change.
regarding manufacturers timed laps - I couldn't agree more ! We sprung the idea on manufacturers at the last minute this year. now they all know what to expect - so we will be encouraging all participating manufacturers to take part !
As far as the Porsche day goes, please accept my apologies. We will communicate better next year !
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2017 15:19 #7136 by johnCasey
johnCasey replied the topic: John Casey on shakedown.
Glad you enjoy the telecast. We added some more cameras this year to build out the coverage a bit. We will continue to improve the telecast where we can. We want to run the same line-up of commentators again for next year - but adding in a specialist reporter who will focus on the class B, C and I cars exclusively. Which is a good link to GT4. I would love to see more GT4 cars next year. I think as the cars become available, the field will grow (as it in in Europe for example).
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2017 15:24 #7137 by johnCasey
johnCasey replied the topic: John Casey on shakedown.
Thank you for this - no plans to restrict access in the future. Quite the opposite in fact. This year we had a compulsory (for the drivers) signing session. We probably didn't do a great job promoting it - but next year we'll get it right.
We are trying to have camping and tickets on sale early in July - we will give plenty of notice through the 12 hour website. Early-bird prices will be the same as this year.
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2017 15:28 #7138 by johnCasey
johnCasey replied the topic: John Casey on shakedown.
I wasn't aware of the security issue on Thursday. I'll see if we can get that fixed.
As far as the structures are concerned - good idea. I think it works well on the mountain - we'll take that one on.
look forward to seeing you in February - hopefully a little cooler in 2018

Ryan Lee wrote: I think from the last few years being able to access the pits on a Thursday afternoon/evening to watch the teams working on the cars is great. But, I have found the security close the gates so you have to duck through the garages to get out. Whilst most teams are happy to accommodate I don't see why the gates need to be closed. Is there a reason or is this something that can be altered in the future?

Also, is there a way to limit the gazebo structures and things similar to only at the top of the hills at each spectator areas? It can be hard as a spectator like myself who prefers to roam the entire circuit as opposed to being stationary seeing as structures can severely limit viewing ability.

All things aside, looking forward to 2018 B12hr!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2017 15:32 #7139 by johnCasey
johnCasey replied the topic: John Casey on shakedown.
glad you love the event - so do we !
No big plans. Improvements where they add to the spectacle or the experience. More things to see off-track.
Australian Cup cars were eligible for the first time this year - we had several this year. I would love to see the entire Cup field in 2018 !

Nardulas wrote: Thanks for stopping by John, just about all of us love your work.

Do you have any big plans for the future that you can reveal to us here?

As far as feedback goes, I love the event. Entry & camping prices are reasonable, there is great access to the paddock, the live stream is excellent for people that can't attend. I'm not a fan of people putting up gazebos across the top of the mountain, but there is an obvious need for shade on 40+ degree days.

Perhaps as entries dwindle in class B, the Porsche Cup Cars could be incorporated into class I? They are comparable on lap times with the Marc V8's from memory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2017 15:44 #7140 by johnCasey
johnCasey replied the topic: John Casey on shakedown.
Really appreciate your comments, thank you.
Agree on paddock access - no changes !
The Shootout this year was actually added to the schedule. in reality we got an extra 48 minutes of GT3 action this year. We even get some feedback from the teams that there is too much practise time ! In any case, we plan on going round again with the same formula for 2018.
All GT field ? Not in the foreseeable future. I think the Cup cars and the I class cars are great in their own right - and ad an interesting dimension to the race. Never say never - but I can't see it.
I love the idea of competing cars being driven from town out to the track - Spa style. Watch this space.
4 days - possibly. We have the option to do this. More support categories ?
Totally agree on the European teams. They all have an open invitation. Our guy will be at Paul Ricard in June drumming up business !
Craillsy - what a champion. He can actually talk for 12 Hours straight. No breaks. Seriously. We are lucky to have him.

maverick wrote: Thanks for joining us John.
Firstly a huge congratulations and thanks for playing your role in a magnificent world class event.
Please do your best to ensure that the pits/garage areas remain spectator friendly as it's a major drawcard for many fans.
This year's event was again a great one, but it seems that the lack of GT on track action on the Saturday is an issue. Personally I'd love to see the qualifying format of 2016 brought back as the build up through the day was an exciting part of the event. I'm personally not a fan of the shootout as it's all too slow.
Obviously you can't give much away, however is an all GT field imminent ?
Has the possibility of the cars being driving into town and being paraded for a short period of time been looked at as they do for Spa ?
Has the option of extending the event to 4 days been looked at ?
Whatever your paying your scouts, please pay them double and get the likes of Grasser, Black Falcon & Rowe racing down here :)
A big thumbs up for the work that Craillsy performs for the event.
Thanks again for your efforts.

The following user(s) liked this post: maverick, StueyB83, Ryan Lee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • maverick
  • maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
29 May 2017 18:09 #7146 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: John Casey on shakedown.
Thanks for taking the time to interact with the fans John and giving us honest and informative responses.
The 2018 event looks like being a step up again and you'll have plenty of support from our members.

Statistically most "rock spiders" have spent some time in their lives as a church youth group leader.
Think about that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • maverick
  • maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 Feb 2018 10:49 #10816 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: John Casey on shakedown.
Another 12 hour run and won.
Who'd like another Q&A with John ?

Statistically most "rock spiders" have spent some time in their lives as a church youth group leader.
Think about that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.308 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum