2017 Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 hour April 14-16.

More
21 Apr 2017 21:57 #6354 by Alan53
Alan53 replied the topic: 2017 Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 hour April 14-16.

Luke wrote: Hi guys, I was asked to write something on here about how our day went at 6hr. Sorry, never been online forum before so not sure how this works.

We started off with pretty much playing rock/paper/scissors with Paul to see who would start. I won and I love the starts as usually it's pretty exciting to start an endurance race at Bathurst. Our basic strategy was me/Paul/me/paul/me trying to only stop under safety car. We didn't have the legs for the Sherrin car (nobody did) so our plan was to hold second and see if we could get a gap. Plan was going well when we pitted under safety car after 1hr 15min from the lead. Paul jumped and and we where planning to make another pit stop after another 1hr 15min and I was going to jump in. There where so many safety cars, nobody was using any fuel or tyres as it was just one safety car after another. We decided to change strategy and look at keeping paul in the car for a double stint and he did an awesome job coming through traffic and back to the front. With 2.25 hours to go, another safety car so we pitted and I jumped back in till the end off the race. After jumping in cars traction control came on and we couldn't turn it off until next pit stop as you have to reset the car while stationary to disable traction control. So I spent the second last stint fighting through traffic and try stick with Chaz. When we came in for the last pitstop they pitted at the same time, managed to get rid of traction control so car was good. Then it was another run through traffic, following Chaz through traffic was tough as he was insane. Actually really impressive to watch from behind. The the benz caught fire and we had the last safety car. Before the restart Paul got on radio gave an encouraging few words. Told me to make a few driving adjustments and go for it.

On the restart, Chaz was on it and he had a 1 second lead after the first lap. I could see how hard he was pushing and hoped after 1 or 2 laps at that speed his tyres would start to go off. I think they did as after 2 laps I could see we where closing the gap back up. Then I got the opportunity to go up the inside of the chase. Once I got passed I didn't look back in the rear view mirror until mountain straight as usually when you look back and try cover you make mistakes and outbreak yourself or something. When coming down Conrod I saw he was starting to drop right back. Paul was on the radio and said last lap. I think I spent most of the lap fist pumping and screaming at myself. I couldn't believe it.

Loved every single minute of the race, it was super fun and to finish with a dice with Chaz was really exciting for me. To win at Bathurst with a mate and give him all three majors at Bathurst it meant a lot to him (and me).

A lot more was going on and there was a lot more to it. I hope that was ok.

Congratulations Luke.I have always admired the way you have raced going back to Super Touring days.The win last Sunday and that last stint in particular was a stunning achievement.
The following user(s) liked this post: Luke

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2017 07:16 #6356 by jdyort
jdyort replied the topic: 2017 Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 hour April 14-16.
Congratulations on the win Luke (and using a forum for the first time).
I echo sentiments of many here in that I enjoyed your under dog status back in the Super Tourer Days.
Very happy for you and the team. Curious as to whether you will stick with the BMW or not for next year.

Also well done Snowy. We were all cheering you on and good to see there is plenty of life in the Evo yet.
The following user(s) liked this post: Luke

More
22 Apr 2017 14:22 #6362 by James3592
James3592 replied the topic: 2017 Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 hour April 14-16.
Here's my review from the weekend. Happy reading :) :

motorsportnerd.wixsite.com/the-motorspor...-the-Bathurst-6-Hour
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick, RedZedMikey, chatswood47, Nardulas

More
22 Apr 2017 15:27 #6365 by Nardulas
Nardulas replied the topic: 2017 Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 hour April 14-16.

James3592 wrote: Here's my review from the weekend. Happy reading :) :

motorsportnerd.wixsite.com/the-motorspor...-the-Bathurst-6-Hour

Great read, and my only complaints from the race is how often the safety car was called, and how long it stayed out for once it was called. Otherwise it was an excellent race
The following user(s) liked this post: James3592

More
22 Apr 2017 16:52 #6369 by Luke
Luke replied the topic: 2017 Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 hour April 14-16.
No more pace as far as engine wise as we have tried and tried to improve that and we can't do anything there. We definitely can't find nearly 30k's to keep up with the M4. My father-in-law (Barry Graham) is always working on the setup and always surprises so may get a few tenths out of it through setup only.

No, no plans to do the whole series and not looking to upgrade any time soon. Just helping Barry with the NSW state series and keeping hand up for anything that may come up.
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick, The conversationalist formally known as Goat69, jdyort, 1966

Time to create page: 0.262 seconds