TCR 2017

• StueyB83
  • StueyB83's Avatar Topic Author
  • GT-Report.com
More
16 May 2017 17:02 #6831 by StueyB83
StueyB83 created the topic: TCR 2017
One category that has earned more of my attention this year has been the TCR international series.

Slowly but surely the field is becoming much more competitive, with decent grids.

I was never much a fan of the WTCC for some reason - maybe it just never seems very even, but TCR seems to have hit the nail on the head with a customer sports approach, simple tech rule set (based around 2.0L turbo 4's (but 1.8 in the case of the Alfa) of around 330bhp) and a BoP formula - most of the time there are cars nose to tail in the top places.

VW group has thrown a bit of effort in and has 3 brands represented - and Hyundai/Kia are set to have two brands by years end.

Here is the list of current models and upcoming projects;

Seat Leon TCR
VW Golf GTi TCR
Audi RS3 LMS by Audi Customer Sport
Opel Astra TCR
Alfa Guiletta TCR
Honda Civic TCR by JAS Motorsport
Ford Focus ST TCR by FRD
Subaru Impreza STI TCR by Top-Run
KIA Ceed' TCR by STARD

Upcoming;
Hyundai i30 TCR

And they also let the Peugeot 308 Cup cars in.

It will be interesting if/when they crack the Aussie market, seeing as they represent a segment of cars that is currently in Boom over here (Hot Hatches)

Mech Eng. & Scribe for GT-Report.com

For deciding what to spray on your podium celebrations: champagnetipplers.wordpress.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2017 13:43 - 03 Jun 2017 14:43 #7277 by Nath
Nath replied the topic: TCR 2017

StueyB83 wrote: One category that has earned more of my attention this year has been the TCR international series.

Slowly but surely the field is becoming much more competitive, with decent grids.

I was never much a fan of the WTCC for some reason - maybe it just never seems very even, but TCR seems to have hit the nail on the head with a customer sports approach, simple tech rule set (based around 2.0L turbo 4's (but 1.8 in the case of the Alfa) of around 330bhp) and a BoP formula - most of the time there are cars nose to tail in the top places.

VW group has thrown a bit of effort in and has 3 brands represented - and Hyundai/Kia are set to have two brands by years end.

Here is the list of current models and upcoming projects;

Seat Leon TCR
VW Golf GTi TCR
Audi RS3 LMS by Audi Customer Sport
Opel Astra TCR
Alfa Guiletta TCR
Honda Civic TCR by JAS Motorsport
Ford Focus ST TCR by FRD
Subaru Impreza STI TCR by Top-Run
KIA Ceed' TCR by STARD

Upcoming;
Hyundai i30 TCR

And they also let the Peugeot 308 Cup cars in.

It will be interesting if/when they crack the Aussie market, seeing as they represent a segment of cars that is currently in Boom over here (Hot Hatches)

Ive never actually watched the races personally myself but ive seen more and more media about them over the last year and clearly its a booming class in overseas markets.

Ive always thought v8supercars could adopt a world formula and just modify some of the cars to suit. For instance much higher horsepower and rwd, homologate local models to to mix it with the existing models etc. Have a 2 tier system so that you can also run the original cars in their exact spec. TCR/WTCC/BTCC would suit that kind of thing perfectly and be so much more relevant today. If you want you can still have v8's as the top teir.

Even just inviting the World touring cars to mix it with v8supercars in the Bathurst 1000 would be fantastic.

Outside of my personal dream land I would like to see a strong TCR series under the v8supercars banner. In the mean time hopefully a few mix it with the marc cars in gt trophy next year.
Last Edit: 03 Jun 2017 14:43 by Nath.

More
03 Jun 2017 17:23 #7291 by CP
CP replied the topic: TCR 2017
They featured a few races on Speedweek last year and they seemed like an entertaining series to watch.

Where would they fit in here though?

We already have three touring car championships with VASC, Dunlop and Kumho Series, and given the last international category that we've adopted has been a flop so far, it's hard to see where they could fit as a standalone class. Seeing as they are quite popular in enduro trim in VLN/Creventic, they could fit in GT Trophy, the AEC and 12 Hour.

Like you Stuey, the WTCC has never interested me. The 1987 version does though, even though I was born five years later.

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds