2017 Australian GT Championship.

• maverick
  • maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
13 Sep 2017 18:46 #8871 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: 2017 Australian GT Championship.

The conversationalist formally known as Goat69 wrote:

maverick wrote: He may appear on the entry list, but Lago won't be running at Sandown unfortunately.

Too cold 4 him?

I'll let him know you said that ;)

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2017 02:43 - 14 Sep 2017 02:45 #8875 by RedZedMikey
RedZedMikey replied the topic: 2017 Australian GT Championship.

Richo wrote: Speaking of lists I haven't seen one for this weekends festivities. Any chance of a race appearing on Ten during their coverage?

Race 1 is at 8:30 Sat, outside the broadcast.
Race 3 is at 5:10 Sat, outside the broadcast.
Race 2 is at 12:05 Sat, so has a chance, but as that is only 5 minutes into the broadcast, I think the talking heads will be doing their intros, discussing Friday and Sat P4 for the VASCs while I am watching AGT action from Dandenong Road corner :)
Last Edit: 14 Sep 2017 02:45 by RedZedMikey.
The following user(s) liked this post: Richo

More
14 Sep 2017 02:58 - 14 Sep 2017 03:00 #8876 by RedZedMikey

MatCoch wrote: If a car runs out of fuel, should we shorten the race? It's the same thing.
Compulsory pit stops are a fundamental rule of the category. Break it and there are prescribed penalties. Yes, the penalty is severe, so it should be all the more motivation for teams to make sure they get it right.

Mat, I don't see that as quite the same thing. I also consider the penalty of exclusion as too severe.
However, as you say, the rule is there for all to see and they should set their strategy accordingly.

After being given their penalties, have any of the 3 teams involved in recent rounds offered up any reasons or excuses for failing to pit early enough? Was it simply all 3 getting times wrong?

What would happen if a safety car occurrence happened a few minutes before the pit window closed, didn't go green until after the pit window closed, and there were cars or car that had not completed their CPS? Is there a rule or clause covering that?

Do you know what penalty is applied in VASC if a car fails to complete a CPS during the pit window by pitting too late?
Last Edit: 14 Sep 2017 03:00 by RedZedMikey.

More
14 Sep 2017 09:38 #8878 by Shane001
Shane001 replied the topic: 2017 Australian GT Championship.
Offering my 2cents :)

Personally I think the penalty is too harsh, although if you want to give the fans something to get worked up about, fits the bill perfectly lol.

Suddenly having a car pushed into the garage and out of the race for what most fans would not consider a major issue, especially when you've only got 17 cars on track. To no longer see that car for the rest of the race due to missing a pit stop by a few seconds. It's too harsh and not good for the sport imo.

Make it an immediate stop and go penalty on the next lap, make it 1min if you want, but at least then it's reasonable and it puts the car back out on track to race back through the grid again, and gives the fans a moment of controversy followed by the joy of watching it race back through the field.

The problem with motorsport in this country is it's become boring and sterile. And it's rules like this that are at fault. imo :)
The following user(s) liked this post: Nath

More
14 Sep 2017 10:55 #8880 by TCR
TCR replied the topic: 2017 Australian GT Championship.
Agreed Shane, I think an additional Stop and Go penalty over and above the CPS would be enough of a penalty in this instance. Surely that would still be enough of an incentive to get it right, whilst not entirely ruining what would be an expensive day out for nothing.
The following user(s) liked this post: Nath

More
14 Sep 2017 12:31 #8881 by Richo
Richo replied the topic: 2017 Australian GT Championship.

RedZedMikey wrote:

Richo wrote: Speaking of lists I haven't seen one for this weekends festivities. Any chance of a race appearing on Ten during their coverage?

Race 1 is at 8:30 Sat, outside the broadcast.
Race 3 is at 5:10 Sat, outside the broadcast.
Race 2 is at 12:05 Sat, so has a chance, but as that is only 5 minutes into the broadcast, I think the talking heads will be doing their intros, discussing Friday and Sat P4 for the VASCs while I am watching AGT action from Dandenong Road corner :)

I wish I was still in Victoria as I'd be sitting next to you at the track
The following user(s) liked this post: RedZedMikey

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
14 Sep 2017 16:24 #8884 by maverick
Would like to be able to run through the field and have a chat about who's doing what, but there's no entry list available with less than 24 hours to go ??

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.

More
14 Sep 2017 18:55 #8885 by Pierre
Pierre replied the topic: 2017 Australian GT Championship.
The following user(s) liked this post: Richo

More
14 Sep 2017 22:17 - 14 Sep 2017 22:21 #8886 by RedZedMikey

maverick wrote: Would like to be able to run through the field and have a chat about who's doing what, but there's no entry list available with less than 24 hours to go ??

Agreed, disappointing. Just because there is a bit going on behind the scenes is no reason to stop telling us what will be happening on track. Not really sure what to expect on Saturday, smaller grid, larger grid ... I'm thinking smaller :( :unsure: , see below:

I'm going this weekend primarily due to the retro round for VASC; I want to get some shots for our Nissan Club magazine; AGT is a bonus. If this was a normal VASC weekend, I probably wouldn't go unless the AGT races showed enough promise. And with the 3 Sandown stories on the AGT website only mentioning 6 entrants (Audis for Emery, Walsh, Samadi and McLaughlan, Talbot's Porsche and Twigg's AMG), that is not enough promise.

Come on, AGT, please get with it.
Last Edit: 14 Sep 2017 22:21 by RedZedMikey.

More
15 Sep 2017 03:47 #8888 by Ryan Lee
Ryan Lee replied the topic: 2017 Australian GT Championship.
I think that everyone needs to move on regarding the penalty for not stopping during the allotted time being a case of DQ.

The only thing that matters in this whole argument is that the rule is there, for everybody else to see and abide by. It does not matter if it says you have 1hr in a 3hr race to do 2 stops or you must stop on lap 15 and 37. That is the rule. Whether the penalty is correct or not is irrelevant.

These cars did not stop in the allotted time, so, they face the penalty.

As Mat said, there has been over a thousand pit stops with only 3 occasions where this has happened and frankly in my opinion, any excuse is just that, an excuse.

Onto my next point of reference.

I'd really like to see the FTA VS paid argument put to bed.

Clearly there are valid points made by both parties and its something that has been a hot topic for years now. But, my view aside, this forum of late has started looking like a Speedcafe comments section regarding this. I generally don't like forums and when Mav asked me to come here, I didn't for months because I assumed it was the same as other places. I was wrong. It was a bunch of knowledgeable people who all have a passion for racing and cars. My kinda scene. All the Speedcafe doom not gloom like conversations really puts me off, I'm not sure about other people.

I don't want people to take this as me trying to tell you what to do and say. Everyone needs an opinion. Have the conversation by all means. But be prepared to agree to disagree. Then move on. I only make this point because I want to see this forum work. If I didn't care, I'd just leave.
The following user(s) liked this post: The conversationalist formally known as Goat69

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
15 Sep 2017 09:19 #8890 by maverick
11 cars on track for P1 and the times were pretty close between title contenders Talbot & Emery.
Yes that's a very ordinary number of entries and there can be many reasons for it which Mat may or may not be able to tell us. I'd say a few are saving themselves and the car for the NZ rounds.
Let's be positive and enjoy the battle for the Sprint Championship.

More
15 Sep 2017 09:45 - 15 Sep 2017 09:46 #8891 by Richo
Nissan supposedly have their GTR GT3 onsite for some demo laps-why isn't that entered in this round?

Nissan missing an opportunity there
Last Edit: 15 Sep 2017 09:46 by Richo.

More
15 Sep 2017 09:47 #8892 by StueyB83
StueyB83 replied the topic: 2017 Australian GT Championship.

maverick wrote: 11 cars on track for P1 and the times were pretty close between title contenders Talbot & Emery.
Yes that's a very ordinary number of entries and there can be many reasons for it which Mat may or may not be able to tell us. I'd say a few are saving themselves and the car for the NZ rounds.
Let's be positive and enjoy the battle for the Sprint Championship.

It only takes 2 cars to make a race.

Take solace in that it is transitioning and thus its disruptive... There's a few things to iron out in the next few months - lets see what happens.

For your global GT3 photo fix: www.flickr.com/groups/gt3/
For deciding what to spray on your podium celebrations: champagnetipplers.wordpress.com/

For my guessed Entry List: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZaPzpOWO...K1Y/edit?usp=sharing

More
15 Sep 2017 12:01 #8895 by Shane001
Shane001 replied the topic: 2017 Australian GT Championship.
Re Ryan's post, I don't see the problem with continuing to discuss these issues on the forum, but I think they probably do need to be split out to their own thread so as not to clutter up the main subject of this thread with side discussions.

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
15 Sep 2017 13:06 #8896 by maverick

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
15 Sep 2017 16:53 #8897 by maverick

More
15 Sep 2017 21:18 #8903 by MatCoch
MatCoch replied the topic: 2017 Australian GT Championship.

Shane001 wrote: Re Ryan's post, I don't see the problem with continuing to discuss these issues on the forum, but I think they probably do need to be split out to their own thread so as not to clutter up the main subject of this thread with side discussions.

Agreed. My suggestion for its title: Flogging dead horses

Media Manager at Australian GT, PR scribe for Audi Sport Customer Racing Australia, host of Pitpass.com podcast, part time hack for Speedcafe and Auto Action, and freelance Motorsport journo. Views and typos are my won and don't necessarily reflect those of my employer, or those I'll hold tomorrow....
The following user(s) liked this post: bennythejet, Ryan Lee

• The conversationalist formally known as Goat69
  • The conversationalist formally known as Goat69's Avatar
More
15 Sep 2017 22:30 #8905 by The conversationalist formally known as Goat69
The conversationalist formally known as Goat69 replied the topic: 2017 Australian GT Championship.
11 cars on track at sandown. A few people not liking the cold weather?

Baron Peck Peckington III

More
16 Sep 2017 08:49 #8909 by Nardulas
Nardulas replied the topic: 2017 Australian GT Championship.

The conversationalist formally known as Goat69 wrote: 11 cars on track at sandown. A few people not liking the cold weather?

Excellent point. We had 26 cars hit the track for the opening round at Clipsal, why is there only 42% of that figure at the final round? Where have the other 15 cars gone?

More
16 Sep 2017 09:26 #8910 by Richo

The conversationalist formally known as Goat69 wrote: 11 cars on track at sandown. A few people not liking the cold weather?

Are you there?

Even with only 11 cars the threat of rain should make for an interesting race. Talbot and Emery battling out for the title. Porsche should be handy if the rain hits but regardless of weather Talbot should be mega.

Shame that Scud isn't there but he doesn't like Sandown so I'm sure he's happier elsewhere this weekend :lol:

Time to create page: 0.395 seconds