2017 Australian GT Championship.

• maverick
  • maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
05 Sep 2017 04:05 #8746 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: 2017 Australian GT Championship.

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
05 Sep 2017 18:26 - 05 Sep 2017 18:27 #8757 by maverick
After the news that VASC will be taking over the running of AGT from next year in principle, I've started a new thread in the "chat" section.

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.
Last Edit: 05 Sep 2017 18:27 by maverick.

• The conversationalist formally known as Goat69
  • The conversationalist formally known as Goat69's Avatar
More
09 Sep 2017 16:07 #8801 by The conversationalist formally known as Goat69
The conversationalist formally known as Goat69 replied the topic: 2017 Australian GT Championship.
Haha just listening to mat at phillip island nerding it up, waxing lyrical about gt racing at wakefield park from the early 2000's. So much knowledge!

Baron Peck Peckington III

More
09 Sep 2017 21:08 #8803 by James3592
James3592 replied the topic: 2017 Australian GT Championship.
Was watching the live timing for Race 1. Looked like it would have been interesting. That championship will be a bit tighter now...

The Motorsport Nerd: A blog for all motorsport enthusiasts by a massive motorsport enthusiast. Check it out: motorsportnerd.wixsite.com/the-motorsport-nerd
The Motorsport Nerd is now on Facebook: www.facebook.com/themotorsportnerd/?view..._for=239217863187708

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
09 Sep 2017 21:11 #8804 by maverick

James3592 wrote: Was watching the live timing for Race 1. Looked like it would have been interesting. That championship will be a bit tighter now...

Sounded like there was a bit of action and Travers Beynon found himself in the lead with a couple of laps to go before having a drama.

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 Sep 2017 09:30 #8814 by maverick
Race 2 of the Trophy Series from PI on at 10.35 on Shannon's Nationals live TV today.

More
10 Sep 2017 10:28 #8816 by Pierre
Pierre replied the topic: 2017 Australian GT Championship.

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 Sep 2017 11:34 - 10 Sep 2017 11:36 #8817 by maverick
McLaughlin takes the win from Salmon, however there is a question mark over his win officially due to a possibility that he may have passed under yellows.
Gartner disqualified after missing his CPS by seconds.
Without any warning and after there were no SC's during the race, the chequered was thrown 4 minutes early with even the commentators taken by surprise.
It was nice to see the McMillan X-Bow out there.

Last Edit: 10 Sep 2017 11:36 by maverick.

More
10 Sep 2017 14:18 #8818 by The conversationalist formally known as Goat69
The conversationalist formally known as Goat69 replied the topic: 2017 Australian GT Championship.
Justin mcmillian mentioned yesterday he had to speak to officials to get the x-bow in the event. No sure why. Matt can you clarify?

• kiwikid_1
  • Away
More
10 Sep 2017 14:54 #8819 by kiwikid_1
kiwikid_1 replied the topic: 2017 Australian GT Championship.

The conversationalist formally known as Goat69 wrote: Justin mcmillian mentioned yesterday he had to speak to officials to get the x-bow in the event. No sure why. Matt can you clarify?

Nothing yo do with the fact its not 2013 spec?? Or whatever that class runs?. Xbow is GT4

More
10 Sep 2017 16:54 #8820 by The conversationalist formally known as Goat69

kiwikid_1 wrote:

The conversationalist formally known as Goat69 wrote: Justin mcmillian mentioned yesterday he had to speak to officials to get the x-bow in the event. No sure why. Matt can you clarify?

Nothing yo do with the fact its not 2013 spec?? Or whatever that class runs?. Xbow is GT4

Nah thats the series they can race in for this year.

More
11 Sep 2017 20:08 #8833 by MatCoch
MatCoch replied the topic: 2017 Australian GT Championship.
Every competitor has to talk to organisers to confirm their entry?!

There was some discussion about running the X-Bow in Challenge Modern so there was some competition for it, but that didn't end up happening.

Car spec had nothing to do with it. In fact, we had our Championship scrutineers at Phillip Island on the weekend, so I can say with 100% confidence that there was nothing wrong with any of the cars - believe me, they went looking!

Media Manager at Australian GT, PR scribe for Audi Sport Customer Racing Australia, host of Pitpass.com podcast, part time hack for Speedcafe and Auto Action, and freelance Motorsport journo. Views and typos are my won and don't necessarily reflect those of my employer, or those I'll hold tomorrow....
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick

More
12 Sep 2017 10:13 #8841 by Nath
Nath replied the topic: 2017 Australian GT Championship.
I didn't catch the weekends racing, but like Eastern creek I noticed another car was excluded under the mandatory pit stop time rules again.

Now I get that its a teams responsibility to pit within the time allocated but exclusion as a penalty, really? Having two cars parked during the race at eastern creek was like shooting yourself in the foot in front of the large tv audience you had. Surely a drive through, time penalty etc would be more appropriate especially when the infractions occur very closely to the window and aren't a totally blatant attempt to thwart the rules.

I hope this is one thing that is cleared up next year...

More
12 Sep 2017 13:08 - 12 Sep 2017 13:13 #8844 by MatCoch

Nath wrote: I didn't catch the weekends racing, but like Eastern creek I noticed another car was excluded under the mandatory pit stop time rules again.

Now I get that its a teams responsibility to pit within the time allocated but exclusion as a penalty, really? Having two cars parked during the race at eastern creek was like shooting yourself in the foot in front of the large tv audience you had. Surely a drive through, time penalty etc would be more appropriate especially when the infractions occur very closely to the window and aren't a totally blatant attempt to thwart the rules.

The regulations are very clear on the topic, the penalty for not serving a compulsory pit stop is exclusion. The teams are aware of this and ultimately it is their responsibility to ensure that they adhere to the regulations.

At Sydney Motorsport Park teams had 90-minutes in which to serve two compulsory stops.

At Phillip Island there was a 10-minute window for one stop, or put another way, 20% of the allotted race time.

Not serving a compulsory pit stop could give a strategic advantage, even allowing for any in-race penalty. It's no different to using an additional set of tyres, or having a car that is outside of its BoP. It changes the fundamental balance of the race and therefore is looked on very dimly indeed.

Compulsory timed pit stops underpin the success of Australian GT and I would be surprised if any change is made to the regulations. It is the team's responsibility to ensure they meet the regulations.

During the race I was in commentary and called it some three or four minutes before it happened. The team elected to take a gamble and it didn't pay off. In my 50 races with Australian GT I have seen this penalty applied a total of three times in two races; that's 4% of races have this penalty applied in them. I couldn't tell you how many cars have competed in that time, but let's take an average of 20 cars per race. That's 1,000 cars, serving a total of (I guess) about 1,200 pit stops. In that time only three have missed the window, so let's keep it in perspective.

Media Manager at Australian GT, PR scribe for Audi Sport Customer Racing Australia, host of Pitpass.com podcast, part time hack for Speedcafe and Auto Action, and freelance Motorsport journo. Views and typos are my won and don't necessarily reflect those of my employer, or those I'll hold tomorrow....
Last Edit: 12 Sep 2017 13:13 by MatCoch.
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick, Richo, StueyB83, SP2511, Ryan Lee

More
12 Sep 2017 21:12 #8855 by Pierre
Pierre replied the topic: 2017 Australian GT Championship.

More
13 Sep 2017 13:23 #8863 by Nath
Nath replied the topic: 2017 Australian GT Championship.

MatCoch wrote:

Nath wrote: I didn't catch the weekends racing, but like Eastern creek I noticed another car was excluded under the mandatory pit stop time rules again.

The regulations are very clear on the topic, the penalty for not serving a compulsory pit stop is exclusion. The teams are aware of this and ultimately it is their responsibility to ensure that they adhere to the regulations.

At Sydney Motorsport Park teams had 90-minutes in which to serve two compulsory stops.

At Phillip Island there was a 10-minute window for one stop, or put another way, 20% of the allotted race time.

Not serving a compulsory pit stop could give a strategic advantage, even allowing for any in-race penalty. It's no different to using an additional set of tyres, or having a car that is outside of its BoP. It changes the fundamental balance of the race and therefore is looked on very dimly indeed.

Compulsory timed pit stops underpin the success of Australian GT and I would be surprised if any change is made to the regulations. It is the team's responsibility to ensure they meet the regulations.

During the race I was in commentary and called it some three or four minutes before it happened. The team elected to take a gamble and it didn't pay off. In my 50 races with Australian GT I have seen this penalty applied a total of three times in two races; that's 4% of races have this penalty applied in them. I couldn't tell you how many cars have competed in that time, but let's take an average of 20 cars per race. That's 1,000 cars, serving a total of (I guess) about 1,200 pit stops. In that time only three have missed the window, so let's keep it in perspective.

I essentially agree with everything you said Mat, i just dont think that a car that just misses the window should be removed from the event full stop depending on the severity of the breach. There are other forms of punishment that would more than deal with the breach appropriately without removing whole cars from the race.

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
13 Sep 2017 13:35 #8864 by maverick
He may appear on the entry list, but Lago won't be running at Sandown unfortunately.

More
13 Sep 2017 13:35 #8865 by MatCoch
If a car runs out of fuel, should we shorten the race? It's the same thing.

Compulsory pit stops are a fundamental rule of the category. Break it and there are prescribed penalties. Yes, the penalty is severe, so it should be all the more motivation for teams to make sure they get it right.

The following user(s) liked this post: StueyB83, Ryan Lee

More
13 Sep 2017 13:44 #8866 by Richo
Richo replied the topic: 2017 Australian GT Championship.

maverick wrote: He may appear on the entry list, but Lago won't be running at Sandown unfortunately.

That's a shame. I just saw the pic of the top 5 contenders on AGT facebook. Nice graphic.

Speaking of lists I haven't seen one for this weekends festivities. Any chance of a race appearing on Ten during their coverage?

More
13 Sep 2017 18:16 #8870 by The conversationalist formally known as Goat69

maverick wrote: He may appear on the entry list, but Lago won't be running at Sandown unfortunately.

Too cold 4 him?

Time to create page: 0.288 seconds