2018 Bathurst 12 hour #Ask Craillsy.

• maverick
  • maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
09 Dec 2017 10:31 - 09 Dec 2017 11:00 #9786 by maverick
maverick created the topic: 2018 Bathurst 12 hour #Ask Craillsy.
Just like we did last year, Bathurst 12 hour media man and all round good guy Richard Craill will kindly answer any questions that you have.
May be difficult for him to answer any questions on entries that haven't been announced, but you can try.
I'm sure he won't mind any non related B12 hr questions also.
Ask away.

Statistically most "rock spiders" have spent some time in their lives as a church youth group leader.
Think about that.
Last Edit: 09 Dec 2017 11:00 by maverick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• maverick
  • maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
09 Dec 2017 11:27 #9791 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: 2018 Bathurst 12 hour #Ask Craillsy.
At risk of asking a question that you may not be able to discuss, is there any news on the possibility of having the cars driving into town ?

Statistically most "rock spiders" have spent some time in their lives as a church youth group leader.
Think about that.

More
11 Dec 2017 08:40 #9810 by Craillsy
Craillsy replied the topic: 2018 Bathurst 12 hour #Ask Craillsy.

maverick wrote: At risk of asking a question that you may not be able to discuss, is there any news on the possibility of having the cars driving into town ?

It has been discussed, yes. Logistically it's a big effort but there is a chance.
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick

More
11 Dec 2017 21:18 #9824 by Nadz 44
Nadz 44 replied the topic: 2018 Bathurst 12 hour #Ask Craillsy.

Craillsy wrote:

maverick wrote: At risk of asking a question that you may not be able to discuss, is there any news on the possibility of having the cars driving into town ?

It has been discussed, yes. Logistically it's a big effort but there is a chance.

Now that would be awesome, a competitor convoy down the main street of town....
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick, StueyB83

More
10 Jan 2018 13:05 #10251 by PremierV8
PremierV8 replied the topic: 2018 Bathurst 12 hour #Ask Craillsy.
Hi, just asking in regards to TV coverage, I have not seen anything or missed this. Is Seven Prime still covering again this year. They have done a good job (I think) of the coverage. Would like to see some aerial shots from a drone or chopper as this would show how hard the drivers work getting over the mountain and show off the cars.

• Mosport Fan
  • Transplanted Canadian in Oz.
More
10 Jan 2018 15:20 #10253 by Mosport Fan
Mosport Fan replied the topic: 2018 Bathurst 12 hour #Ask Craillsy.

More
10 Jan 2018 21:45 #10259 by Craillsy
G'Day PremierV8 - this link ( www.bathurst12hour.com.au/news/seven-net...returns-cover-b12hr/ ) covers off all the details. Live on 7Mate all Sunday, with the Shootout live as well on Saturday.

Commentary as per previous years though the great man Graham Goodwin is out (he's got a clash with Asian LeMans) and radiolemans.com's Johnny Adam will be making his first trip to Bathurst. We'll also have a new face in pit lane in Alex Hart from Channel 7 News so we can give more coverage to the class battles like GT4.

Not sure about any coverage from the sky - suspect a Chopper might not be in the budget but never know about a drone! I'll be waiting until the event to find out like you I suspect.

More
16 Jan 2018 14:55 #10318 by Chris32
Chris32 replied the topic: 2018 Bathurst 12 hour #Ask Craillsy.
Hey Craillsy

What effect do you think Nissan's no show will have on crowd numbers?

I'm a pretty big Nissan fan, and was looking forward to something similar to last year with 4 GTR's on track.

Not to have one is pretty disappointing - Hobson Motorsport I can fully understand being a privateer team and the struggles that go with that. But Nissan Australia have 2 cars sitting here ready to go, but it seems can't be bothered

There are plenty of disgruntled fans on social media, and last year it seemed like every 4th person had something Nissan or GTR branded either on a shirt or a hat. How much of a negative effect do you think this will have on crowd numbers?

I'd already planned to head over from Adelaide well before hearing the team announcements, and while I'm looking forward to a great event I think the no show from Nissan is very disappointing. What has been the feedback you've heard from fans?
The following user(s) liked this post: StueyB83

More
17 Jan 2018 09:54 #10325 by Craillsy

Chris32 wrote: Hey Craillsy

What effect do you think Nissan's no show will have on crowd numbers?

I'm a pretty big Nissan fan, and was looking forward to something similar to last year with 4 GTR's on track.

Not to have one is pretty disappointing - Hobson Motorsport I can fully understand being a privateer team and the struggles that go with that. But Nissan Australia have 2 cars sitting here ready to go, but it seems can't be bothered

There are plenty of disgruntled fans on social media, and last year it seemed like every 4th person had something Nissan or GTR branded either on a shirt or a hat. How much of a negative effect do you think this will have on crowd numbers?

I'd already planned to head over from Adelaide well before hearing the team announcements, and while I'm looking forward to a great event I think the no show from Nissan is very disappointing. What has been the feedback you've heard from fans?

It's a tough one. From an event perspective obviously I'd rather they were involved than not, because they bring a lot of commercial clout and media reach that boosts the overall profile of the event and in that respect they have been absolutely unbelievable since their first visit. From a race perspective they were always competitive so we'll miss that from an on track perspective too.

However, my approach to this is to consider how lucky we've been to have them involved at all, for as long as they have.

Nissan are in an interesting period where they have a new CEO and a lot of change in their top staff. Most of the people behind the GTR program are no longer there so it's natural that they would sit back and take stock of the situation. It's not a case of 'cant be bothered', more a case of 'lets take stock and see where we're at.'

But we've had five years of them going 'all in' and if you look at the involvement of 'works' teams in motorsport - especially here - that is a pretty good number.

Manufacturer involvement in motorsport is fickle and operates on the whim of the marketing department and the CEO of the time because thats where the budget comes from. The reason GT3 works as a category is because a privateer can go and buy the same car as the manufacturer and run it so the fans can still see it - in this case, Hobson Motorsport.

Unfortunately for Hobbo, he's not been able to put things together for this year. But he tried properly hard to make it happen so hopefully they can consolidate this year and come back in 2019.

Yes we've had some reaction from fans - though it is hard to get a true read on social media. I have had exactly one person message the event to say they are not coming because there are no Nissans. A majority have expressed similar sentiments as yourself and said 'Big shame, but we're still going because there's so many other cool cars'. To put it in perspective, we've probably had just as many people upset that there's no Maranello Ferrari.

Will it affect crowds? I don't want to sound callus to the Nissan fans, because I love 'em, but I doubt it and if a few of them don't come because there are no GTRs, they will be balanced out by the new fans the event continue to attract. That's just my thought.

And Nissan's no-show is countered by the increasing impact other brands are having, the most important I think is Porsche. They are going ALL IN to win it this year and their attack is three times as strong as it was last year which in my mind balances out the lack of the competitive Nissans. Plus there's the two WRT Audi's for the first time and the Strakka Mercs. It's swings and roundabouts: some go but new ones come and play.

But to surmise, I can't fault Nissan because for their time in the race they were as engaged and as active as anyone. They were the first brand to bring merchandise. They supported the event in 2015 during the test day issues (and we reciprocated by helping organise the photo shoot with the Altima Supercar and GTR at the track on the Thursday prior, despite objections from many parties). They supported the event by showing the stream via NISMO TV (Which, by the way, I believe they will do again this year). They brought five or six journo's up each year, pumped out heaps of social etc etc. I can't overestimate their role in building the race to this level and will be thankful of that so I can move past their no-show this year.

The worst thing for me is the fact we won't get Chiyo-san! He's one of my favorite drivers and one of the nicest, funniest dudes I've met. His absence is as big as loss, I reckon!

RC
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick, Richo, mayhem, porsche91722, jdyort, Nath, Mosport Fan, Pierre, StueyB83, Dazza and this user have 1 others thankyou

• StueyB83
  • GT-Report.com
More
17 Jan 2018 10:31 #10327 by StueyB83
StueyB83 replied the topic: 2018 Bathurst 12 hour #Ask Craillsy.
To further back-up Craillsy - I think Nissan is likely having a hiatus year while they sort out the state of the nation.

The now outgoing 2012 genesis GT-R GT3 is struggling to maintain performance relative to newer cars with both the Balance of Performance and the engineering of the car itself - and no doubt this has put weight on the decision.

Positive thing is, the pretty much all new new-spec GT-R GT3 debuts this year in Europe and Japan - and is eligible for next year. This corrects a number of issues the car has had.

As for Lexus and Honda, give it time. Aside from Nissan, the other Japanese brands have always been a bit tentative to have a presence outside of their domestic market - but we are beginning to see a change in trend as GT3's global platform opens it up. The US market in particular has in increased presence.

GT300 in SuperGT will have the 3 rivals sparring there also.

Blancpain GT will likely have all 3 - Nismo vs Frey Lexus vs JAS Honda... lets hope this spills over into 2019 and the IGTC ;)

Mech Eng. & Scribe for GT-Report.com

For deciding what to spray on your podium celebrations: champagnetipplers.wordpress.com/
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick, Richo, mayhem, Nath, Pierre

• Mosport Fan
  • Transplanted Canadian in Oz.
More
19 Jan 2018 08:32 - 19 Jan 2018 08:32 #10358 by Mosport Fan
Mosport Fan replied the topic: 2018 Bathurst 12 hour #Ask Craillsy.
What is your thought on GT3 continuing to pave the way for GT racing globally? I've been following sportscar racing for nearly 25 years and I think the biggest trend I've always noticed in the GT ranks has been the shift between GT1-2-3 . I remember when GT1 was essentially a prototype with a body, and GT2 was a lot more production based....and then GT2 essentially became GT1 in the ALMS and similar ranks for a few years, but now seemingly has gone back again to almost a "prototype" base with the looks of McLarens, R8's etc (not that there is anything wrong with that). Does this open the door for the current GT3 cars to become what used to be viewed as GT1?

I do enjoy the current GT3 racing, and it seems to be adopted around the world quite well. Do you envision more manufacturers will come on board? Do you envision that there may be more emphasis on exotic-appearing machinery or will it shift to more "production car" appearing models (more touring car/sedan type)?
Last Edit: 19 Jan 2018 08:32 by Mosport Fan.

More
19 Jan 2018 11:01 - 19 Jan 2018 11:02 #10364 by Richo
Richo replied the topic: 2018 Bathurst 12 hour #Ask Craillsy.
Great response by Craillsy in regards to Nissan's absence. Well written. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Craillsy
Last Edit: 19 Jan 2018 11:02 by Richo.
The following user(s) liked this post: Nath

More
21 Jan 2018 01:55 #10390 by RedZedMikey
RedZedMikey replied the topic: 2018 Bathurst 12 hour #Ask Craillsy.
Haven't been here for a few days ... as a Nissan owner/enthusiast and GT-R B12 merchandise wearer, thanks to Chris for his question, and Craillsy for his response. I won't be there this year, but that is down to financial reasons, not Nissan's no-show. I spoke to Todd Kelly at their December open day, and he said the red one was still at Nissan Melbourne HQ, but partially dismantled, and the yellow one was still in the UK awaiting repair after last year's B12.

It will be interesting to see what Nissan do locally for 2019 and beyond. Will they renew for VASC, or not? Will they get back into B12 or even AGT? Or will one, or both exercises become closed books? I certainly hope not, but if one door must close please let it be VASC and not B12/GT3 ...

Time to create page: 0.324 seconds