2018 Australian GT Championship.

More
18 Sep 2017 11:40 - 18 Sep 2017 11:44 #8956 by Craillsy
Craillsy replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

P1 Racing wrote:

Craillsy wrote:
I don't understand why people continually think that Supercars are going to take over GT to kill or marginalise it?

Isn't the instant rebrand of an established category an example of marginalising it - to fit in with the Supercars agenda?

Surely even a Supercars fan boi Craillsy, acknowledges the history and treatment of support categories would caution some fans & teams to question what the future holds?

Sigh. Come on! It's common in the business world to rebrand an established property to bring it into line with existing IP within the new parent companies organisation. It's common sense business and in no ways means they're trying to marginalise the business.

You can call me a 'fan boi' all you like. Do I like Supercars? Sure I do. Do I work for them? Sure - my business contracts to them to do 12hr stuff. If that makes me a 'fan boi' then so be it though I'm more an IndyCar 'fan boi' than I am Supercars. Supercars is my place of business.

But I've spent 90% of my career working in the sport working on support categories. I've worked with the Shannons Nationals since 2006. F3 for 12 years. I still work on support categories. They are 80 per cent of my workload. So I reckon I have a bit of an idea about the landscape and in that scene, Supercars are the major player and in almost every instance it is better for a national level category to be on that program rather than not to be on it. This is a fact and comes from years of experience running and working in categories at that level.

Has their attitude been crap in the past? Sure it has. Is it better now? Unquestionably. Do they want to make their overall product better by adding great categories like GT? Naturally. Are they perfect? Hardly, but few in this sport or any other are.

Ultimately, people and organisations change and the preconceived notions based on history will need to change with them. Or go and watch the footy.

Craillsy wrote: The prophecies of doom about their takeover of the 12 hour three years ago were worse than people talking about a North Korean nuclear attack - and yet the event is not only still here, but thanks to their input it is more commercially viable and actually cheaper for competitors to enter than in the past - with a better TV deal.

A better TV deal? Its been FTA for 12 hours since 2015 hasn't it?

As you are involved with the promoter Craillsy - any word why the campsite costs have increased by over 50% for this year? I can only imagine it relates to new and improved facilities for customers?

Sure it's been FTA since 2015 ('14, actually, on SBS) but since SC invested in the event, the coverage has improved. Much more was invested in production (number of onboards has trebled, 20% more cameras around the track, coverage of Saturday. More time on Sunrise pre-event to promote. More video media content. More social content. Better stream. Extension of deals that are a key part of the IP of the event like RadioLeMans.. I could go on..

All of this is without any real tangible return from a commercial point of view but to make the product better so more want to watch.

I can't comment on the campsite charges other than to say that when camping was introduced at the top there was a 50-50 chance that it wouldn't actually have enough take-up to make it viable, so there was an effort to make it extremely affordable in it's early years.

As it's evolved and demand has increased (and indeed the requirement of resources to service it goes up correspondingly) they have increased to be more in line with other events of that nature. That's the best way I can explain it and I'm sure you probably won't like it - but the fact McPhillamy park has sold out already and the demand is higher than the same time last year seems to indicate it's pretty good. And it's still cheaper than October.

Craillsy wrote: This knee-jerk reaction to being anti-Supercars the moment something is discussed has to stop because it's plain ridiculous.

I respectfully disagree. The (V8) Supercars war on all things Australian motorsport for its personal gain has been waged for over 20 years now - nothing knee-jerk about it. Your closeness to the organisation I feel may be clouding your view here.

And in the same way I'm disagreeing with your disagreement and would encourage you to be as open minded as possible moving forward rather than using history as a guide.
Last Edit: 18 Sep 2017 11:44 by Craillsy.
The following user(s) liked this post: Nath

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2017 12:22 #8957 by Pierre
Pierre replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
I'm not actually clear on which camping tickets increased in price. Early bird tix for McPhillamy were ~$90 for 2017, and the same for 2018. Not sure what paddock camping cost in 2017, but I paid $90 for 2018.
The following user(s) liked this post: Nath, Craillsy

More
18 Sep 2017 13:10 #8958 by MatCoch
MatCoch replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
I'm done here.

I've been as open as I can be and have grown tired of the increased negativity over recent months.

2018 will be a good thing. I hope you all enjoy it.

Media Manager at Australian GT, PR scribe for Audi Sport Customer Racing Australia, host of Pitpass.com podcast, part time hack for Speedcafe and Auto Action, and freelance Motorsport journo. Views and typos are my won and don't necessarily reflect those of my employer, or those I'll hold tomorrow....

More
18 Sep 2017 13:11 #8959 by Dazza
Dazza replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
Just a theoretical question - what if Fox realise they are over paying & offer less money in the future, the lost fans won't be back, what is the next alternative?

More
18 Sep 2017 13:48 #8960 by Richo
Richo replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

MatCoch wrote: I'm done here.

I've been as open as I can be and have grown tired of the increased negativity over recent months.

Mat I'm sorry to see you go. The majority of people on here are grateful for you coming on here not only as a representative of the category but as another fan of sportscar racing that shares the passion we do.
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick, RedZedMikey, bennythejet

More
18 Sep 2017 13:54 #8961 by TCR
TCR replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

Richo wrote:

Mat I'm sorry to see you go. The majority of people on here are grateful for you coming on here not only as a representative of the category but as another fan of sportscar racing that shares the passion we do.

Real shame for this forum to lose someone like you Mat. Your input has been a valuable insight for those of us who follow the category. Keep up the good work with the Youtube videos, and hopefully we might see you back here again one day.
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick, RedZedMikey

More
18 Sep 2017 14:04 #8963 by StueyB83
StueyB83 replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
I think a few people are expecting AGT to be more than what it is, at a time when it can't.

There have been a number of significant obstacles this year that have had a direct effect on AGT's operations - and some I think deserve accepting - rather than critiquing.

I have been able to opine on a direction I hoped the series would take and it was refreshing that it didn't fall on deaf ears. I have a reasonable understanding of the economics behind these events and appreciate that not every desirable can be achieved.

People have invested significant amounts of money to have GT3 and GT4 assets - not all operators are cashed-up to run full seasons - not all drivers have complete budgets - this is the market we live in. People can be upset about teams coming and going as they please - but money is first and foremost the most significant barrier to entry. AGT format gives them the autonomy to pick and choose events - and that in itself is not a bad thing.

I thank TQ, Ken and Mat for bringing domestic GT racing to unprecedented new levels - and for getting such a diverse range of Ego's and equipment together - which given the politicking that goes on in a BOP series is not as easy as it seems.

For your global GT3 photo fix: www.flickr.com/groups/gt3/
For deciding what to spray on your podium celebrations: champagnetipplers.wordpress.com/

For my guessed Entry List: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZaPzpOWO...K1Y/edit?usp=sharing
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick, Richo, RedZedMikey

More
20 Sep 2017 21:19 #8987 by Ryan Lee
Ryan Lee replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

Whilst speaking with you at Sandown, i let it be known my thoughts on this.

I can't say i blame you. As i said though, you're part of the reason i come here so hopefully we find ourselves in a position where we can again enjoy your input. All the best Mat, look forward to seeing you in NZ!
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick

• Mosport Fan
  • Transplanted Canadian in Oz.
More
25 Sep 2017 09:58 - 28 Sep 2017 08:09 #9010 by Mosport Fan
Mosport Fan replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
I’ve kinda sat on the sidelines on this one not being sure how to respond or feel, but here goes. I felt from the onset the merger with Supercars was a necessary evil to really make this work- but the key would be to find that balance between making sure both series can co-exist.
I know I haven’t been in Australia long, so some may feel my view or opinion doesn’t carry a lot of weight. But, I have lived and resided in arguably the biggest markets for sportscar racing, being North America and in Europe.
TV coverage of motorsport in Oz- guys, you really shouldn’t complain. I admit that I do have Foxtel, but I only have it for sports coverage. But even on your normal telly, you get grassroots stuff like Shannons Nationals or Speedway on occasion. Yes, I know your live options you pretty have to pay for, but for what you do pay for it is pretty decent and fair. Trust me, living in Canada you don’t get any type of grassroots coverage (never have, and from what I understand, you still don’t today). You get a handful of sports channels which are usually dominated by NASCAR and F1- sports cars you are lucky to get coverage in ‘Murica or if you stream at a price. Europe of course the coverage is far better, even if you had a Freeview box in the UK. Pay options are pretty competitive too. In Europe, they pretty much covered anything and everything too (but appreciate other countries may be restricted). But the reality, for a country your size out here and the size of the market, your TV coverage of motorsport is pretty damn good- stop complaining!
Access to motorsport- again, you guys do pretty good considering the size of the country and where tracks are located. Canada doesn’t have that many tracks to access.
Cost- this is where I gripe a little. I find the Supercars product for what it is very pricey. I still pay it as I still enjoy it, but it is a costly weekend. Speedway is OK for $25-35 a person where you can find short tracks in North America for under $20- but do understand it is two different products. If the GT merger with Supercars starts to combine a lot of those events together, a balance needs to be found in the ticket pricing. I have been to a few Supercar races and a handful of GT races. They are two different types of supporter for certain. You will get people (and I sense quite a few on this forum) that don’t give a monkey’s about Supercars and just want to see GT’s, and vice versa. This is where I think they need to think about how to structure a race weekend and ticket price to cater to both. Right now, if GT was on the card for a Supercar round that I was attending, I would feel the ticket cost is justified. If it was without, I would have a hard time justifying. The same goes if it was a GT only weekend and trying to justify the costs as well. I just got my earlybird B12H tickets, and am happy that it was only $130 for a pair compared to B1000 for a one day being over $100. If GT’s go on their own, how do you price it up and ensure people come out? What is on the support card? Can you have coverage but have a “blackout” type of restriction (Canadian Rules Football does this in local markets where games do not sell out to encourage attendance).
I could compare costs here to other markets until the cows come home and I know it can’t really justify or tell anything- but for me the message is clear- you have viable motorsport products in this country that work (again, a similar sized country in Canada can’t even produce a national GT championship), but it needs help, whether it was on its own or merged with another series. The key is just finding the right model that works and this is what needs to happen.
Last Edit: 28 Sep 2017 08:09 by Mosport Fan. Reason: I fixed typos that were driving me nuts- but opinion is still the same.
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick, Richo, RedZedMikey, The conversationalist formally known as Goat69, mayhem, James3592, StueyB83, Kalekta, kiwikid_1, Ryan Lee

More
27 Sep 2017 15:15 #9018 by Alan53
Alan53 replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
Supercars became public enemy Number 1 with much of Australian motor sport in the Cochrane era.They have improved their relationships with people in the sport since he left the building but the residual hatred will probably last a generation.
GT's affiliating may not be a bad idea per se but how it will turn out will depend upon things like the calendar,track time and race formats they are given and most importantly the cost to competitors.While it might be OK to send Supercars to tracks off the east coast more than once a year of these trips gets very expensive for competitors in other classes.Same goes for street races and the inevitable bills from crash damage.
Some people have alluded to the high cost for spectators.Damien White wrote an outstanding post on Ten Tenths which outlined an innovative price structure which would address these concerns.I get a feeling that while they have the current rivers of gold TV contract they are not too concerned about this.If you want to feel a bit better I am paying around $170 a day for Sydney Ashes Test and there are seats more expensive than this.One point of comparison that doesn't reflect well on Supercars is that a 3 day grandstand seat at Newcastle costs more than a 4 day grandstand seat at Albert Park.They must be deluded if they think that will be competitive pricing after the year 1 novelty value wears off.
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick, Lotus

More
28 Sep 2017 16:31 - 28 Sep 2017 16:34 #9027 by Richo
Someones interested in the Lexus?

Having entered the GTD ranks with a two-car factory supported Lexus RC F GT3 effort from 3GT Racing, Lexus Motorsports Manager Mark Egger has revealed ambitions of potentially supporting an additional team when it shifts to a customer operation in 2018.

Egger said the interest level for the RC F GT3, a race-winner in International GT Open competition this year, has been promising, with inquiries having come from three continents.

“We’ve had people that have been interested from the U.S. We’ve had European teams contact us and also people from Australia to race the car in their respective markets. We’ve had lots of customer inquiries, which is good,” he said.

sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/lexus-explori...tomer-team-for-2018/

Theres a big difference between showing interest and actually buying one but its good to know. Betty?
Last Edit: 28 Sep 2017 16:34 by Richo.

More
29 Sep 2017 09:47 - 29 Sep 2017 09:49 #9039 by Richo
Looks like people are interested in Callaway Corvettes for Australia also according to Ernst Wohr the head of Callaway

“There’s a lot of interest (in the C7 GT3) from Australia, Australian GT teams as well as East Asia and the USA,” he said.

“If we ever go to America, it’s because they’ve retired the Cadillac, we would build a lot more cars, and build them here and in the USA. For now though we have to focus on getting Australian and Asia customers cars.”

www.dailysportscar.com/2017/09/28/is-the...ales-in-the-usa.html

This is good news. Hope to see a C7 down here
Last Edit: 29 Sep 2017 09:49 by Richo.
The following user(s) liked this post: Nath, bennythejet

More
29 Sep 2017 10:13 #9040 by Ryan Lee
Well, she's race proven now. #fingerscrossed
The following user(s) liked this post: Richo

More
30 Sep 2017 12:41 #9054 by Nath
Nath replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

Richo wrote: Looks like people are interested in Callaway Corvettes for Australia also according to Ernst Wohr the head of Callaway

“There’s a lot of interest (in the C7 GT3) from Australia, Australian GT teams as well as East Asia and the USA,” he said.

“If we ever go to America, it’s because they’ve retired the Cadillac, we would build a lot more cars, and build them here and in the USA. For now though we have to focus on getting Australian and Asia customers cars.”

www.dailysportscar.com/2017/09/28/is-the...ales-in-the-usa.html

This is good news. Hope to see a C7 down here

I would LOVE to see this actually become a reality.

They look and sound amazing and speaking as a long time fan of the touring car scene this could be a crucial edition to the series when it comes to attracting local fans and may even find interest with some of the v8supercar teams.

More
03 Oct 2017 13:01 #9079 by CP
CP replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
Auto Action are still suggesting that Erebus Motorsport may be turning Japanese (via Ohio), or failing that, could become snake charmers.

There two American Mercedes that are looking for new homes too..........................

More
03 Oct 2017 14:58 #9080 by StueyB83
StueyB83 replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

CP wrote: Auto Action...

Erebus could become snake charmers.

There two American Mercedes that are looking for new homes too..........................

1: That's where you went wrong.

2: Riley doesn't make Viper GT3-R's anymore. Not since last year.

3: GM will never give up the Caddies for sale to anyone.

2 & 3 - Both are 2014 spec cars and given the newest 2016+ spec competition - they've lost pretty much any chance of getting sales - only the big Bentley had a handful, and significant rumours are that the 2014 spec Conti we know and love may have just had its last Blancpain race.

Of course it'll be back at B12 next year so maybe a potential swan-song may be in order.

For your global GT3 photo fix: www.flickr.com/groups/gt3/
For deciding what to spray on your podium celebrations: champagnetipplers.wordpress.com/

For my guessed Entry List: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZaPzpOWO...K1Y/edit?usp=sharing

More
03 Oct 2017 22:55 #9082 by James3592
James3592 replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

StueyB83 wrote:

CP wrote: Auto Action...

Erebus could become snake charmers.

2: Riley doesn't make Viper GT3-R's anymore. Not since last year.

The Viper is/was my favourite GT car. So bummed we didn't see the latest one here in Aus... :(

The Motorsport Nerd: A blog for all motorsport enthusiasts by a massive motorsport enthusiast. Check it out: motorsportnerd.wixsite.com/the-motorsport-nerd
The Motorsport Nerd is now on Facebook: www.facebook.com/themotorsportnerd/?view..._for=239217863187708
The following user(s) liked this post: Nath

More
04 Oct 2017 09:47 #9086 by Richo
We might still see one down here but good luck getting spare parts

• maverick
  • maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
05 Oct 2017 15:21 - 05 Oct 2017 15:21 #9094 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
Will we see a round of AGT at Bathurst next October ?

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.
Last Edit: 05 Oct 2017 15:21 by maverick.

More
05 Oct 2017 19:11 #9097 by Ryan Lee
i hope not

Time to create page: 0.285 seconds