2018 Australian GT Championship.

More
11 Sep 2017 20:02 #8832 by MatCoch
MatCoch replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

porsche91722 wrote: OK…..So I must have read this completely wrong….Speedcafe release 16th November 2016
www.speedcafe.com/2016/11/16/speedcafe-b...-australian-gt-2017/
Championship organisers have confirmed that all meetings barring the Clipsal 500 (March 2-5) Australian GT Championship season opener and the Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix (March 23-26) will be live streamed for the first time.
The announcement follows the release of its 2017 calendar which sees the category move away from Supercars promoted events.
Australian GT trialed a free live streaming service at the inaugural Hampton Downs 101 last month prompting the move to embrace the technology for 2017.
………Category manager Ken Collier believes live streaming the majority of its rounds will help boost the championship’s growth.
“I think live streaming is the way to go for sport in general,” Collier told Speedcafe.com.
“It is accessible so easily on mobile devices and we have seen television companies use the streaming technology.
……………

We do have free live streaming; Race 2 at Phillip Island was broadcast live and free on Sunday.

However, I maintain that at no point have we said that Australian GT would have free live streaming, only that we believe it is the future of sports broadcasting.

Media Manager at Australian GT, PR scribe for Audi Sport Customer Racing Australia, host of Pitpass.com podcast, part time hack for Speedcafe and Auto Action, and freelance Motorsport journo. Views and typos are my won and don't necessarily reflect those of my employer, or those I'll hold tomorrow....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2017 20:47 #8834 by porsche91722
porsche91722 replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
Mat, You can put whatever spin you like on it. I just copied and pasted those comments from Ken Collier from the Speedcafe article, last year. It is what it is! I've moved on. You guys made your own bed.

"At the end of the day, endurance racing is the ultimate test for man and machine and that hasn’t changed a bit in the last 50 years" - Chris Amon
porsche91722.wordpress.com/

More
12 Sep 2017 09:45 - 12 Sep 2017 09:50 #8838 by MatCoch
MatCoch replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
I know full well what Ken said, I was stood next to him during the interview. How you choose to interpret those comments is up to you, though personally, I can only take the literal meaning of what he said, as I believe the majority of people would. I can't help any misunderstandings you might have had.

With that said, I'm done trying to reason with you and won't bother responding to any of your posts going forward. I encourage you to move on to something like the Australian Production Car Series, or Australian Prototype Series and wish you all the best in following them. Let's hope their bed is made a little better than Australian GT's, eh?

Media Manager at Australian GT, PR scribe for Audi Sport Customer Racing Australia, host of Pitpass.com podcast, part time hack for Speedcafe and Auto Action, and freelance Motorsport journo. Views and typos are my won and don't necessarily reflect those of my employer, or those I'll hold tomorrow....
Last Edit: 12 Sep 2017 09:50 by MatCoch.

More
12 Sep 2017 10:07 #8840 by Nath
Nath replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

Richo wrote:

StueyB83 wrote: That was the plan, Porsche. Subsequent politicking and division thwarted that plan though.

Faced with an aborted season, or a compromised tie-in with VASC at the last minute - they went for the latter to appease a faction and salvage the season - and that also meant the ambitious plans for the stream died.

2017 Aus GT can be described in one word... Compromise.

Given the instability and upheavals over the course of the year (and subsequent transfer of power to VASC) the fact the series continues in reasonable health to bounce back should be celebrated, even if the telecasting is not to everyone's liking.

Good points.

I've seen elsewhere online people attacking the series over having 17 GT3 cars at Eastern Creek which whilst lower then expected is still quite healthy for a national GT3 series that doesn't have GT4 to fill out the field. I have no doubt that if we didn't have the last minute calender change fields would be bigger at least.

And making the dreaded comparison to v8supercars it really isn't that far behind in grid size.

If we had 18 car grids at every round I honestly wouldn't mind as long as there was enough quality in there.

It will be interesting to see how grids evolve next year...will it be too expensive and see some of the drivers take their bat and ball and go home out of cost and or principle?

Conversely we may see an influx of people who believe the category can fly under new management.

• Miguel
  • GT REPORT
More
12 Sep 2017 18:16 #8846 by Miguel
Miguel replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

MatCoch wrote: I know full well what Ken said, I was stood next to him during the interview. How you choose to interpret those comments is up to you, though personally, I can only take the literal meaning of what he said, as I believe the majority of people would. I can't help any misunderstandings you might have had.

Speedcafe.com will broadcast the entire Australian GT Endurance Championship (AEC) and the bulk of the Australian GT Championship rounds next year.
Championship organisers have confirmed that all meetings barring the Clipsal 500 (March 2-5) Australian GT Championship season opener and the Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix (March 23-26) will be live streamed for the first time.

What am I missing?

More
12 Sep 2017 18:27 - 12 Sep 2017 18:27 #8847 by Richo
Richo replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
In defence of Mat, Im guessing that statement was made before factions within the championship stood up and wanted more races at V8 events therfore the pledge to stream live the AEC and the majority of Aus GT would've been affected as before the calender upheaval there was a lot more rounds hosted by the Shannons Nationals which does have it own live stream so Im cool with that.

Once the calender was changed and other rounds went onto the V8 bill (im gonna using Sydney as an example as it was originally slated as a Shannons National round and not the V8 round) there was no option to do a live stream because of the broadcasting on Fox as part of the V8 weekend. Thats nothing Mat or Ken or even TQ and his millions of dollars could change.

Its interesting that at least one of those factions that stood up and made a huff and puff about wanting more V8 events on the calendar hasn't even participated in the championship this year.......thats what pisses me off the most. You dont play the game you dont get to make the rules.
Last Edit: 12 Sep 2017 18:27 by Richo.
The following user(s) liked this post: StueyB83, Lotus

More
12 Sep 2017 19:33 #8853 by Nardulas
Nardulas replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
In an ideal world, I'd like to see Foxtel broadcast, because I'm led to believe it's a financially viable option for competitors. But V8SC, AGT, and every other category on the support card, would benefit from having the footage made readily available after the event. Perhaps a week after the event post the footage on YouTube? People who are willing to pay for the exclusivity of live footage will still pay for the product. And the casual observers that only check in every now and again will still be able to watch the coverage without it being stuck behind a pay wall.

However, I'm sure there are reasons this can't (or won't) be done. At the end of the day, while the coverage could always be better, it could also be a lot worse as well. I'll watch what I'm able to, and I'll just have to deal with that

More
12 Sep 2017 22:13 #8856 by StueyB83
StueyB83 replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

Richo wrote: In defence of Mat, Im guessing that statement was made before factions within the championship stood up and wanted more races at V8 events therfore the pledge to stream live the AEC and the majority of Aus GT would've been affected as before the calender upheaval there was a lot more rounds hosted by the Shannons Nationals which does have it own live stream so Im cool with that.

Once the calender was changed and other rounds went onto the V8 bill (im gonna using Sydney as an example as it was originally slated as a Shannons National round and not the V8 round) there was no option to do a live stream because of the broadcasting on Fox as part of the V8 weekend. Thats nothing Mat or Ken or even TQ and his millions of dollars could change.

Its interesting that at least one of those factions that stood up and made a huff and puff about wanting more V8 events on the calendar hasn't even participated in the championship this year.......thats what pisses me off the most. You dont play the game you dont get to make the rules.

I can hazard a guess...

I too remember what ambitions and plans were laid to consolidate a strong AGT season last year - BUT - like Richo I understand that given the many, many significant speed-humps and obstacles faced in the off-season there was always going to be compromises and casualties.

Let's not dwell and get all angsty of the past and what wasn't. Given the significant threats and destabilising AGT has faced over the last few years, not being able to broadcast may be the least of their ills - particularly given how much blood, sweat and tears have been given by organisers - and how much lobbying they have had to do - that all gets tiring.

Let's not forget how many GT series we've seen in Australia wilt into obscurity.

What we can hope for is a proper period of stabilisation AND growth heading into next year.

For your global GT3 photo fix: www.flickr.com/groups/gt3/
For deciding what to spray on your podium celebrations: champagnetipplers.wordpress.com/

For my guessed Entry List: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZaPzpOWO...K1Y/edit?usp=sharing
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick, Richo, Pierre, Kalekta, Ryan Lee

More
13 Sep 2017 10:37 #8861 by P1 Racing
P1 Racing replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

StueyB83 wrote: What we can hope for is a proper period of stabilisation AND growth heading into next year.

From a personal point of view - considering the series will be re-branded and run by Supercars in 2018 - I will be one of those fans who turns there attention to APCC and probably State Based Sports Touring.

I can't support Supercars efforts to marginalise Australian motorsport and AGT's decision to jump into bed with them is even more depressing.

More
13 Sep 2017 11:26 #8862 by Craillsy
Craillsy replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

P1 Racing wrote:

StueyB83 wrote: What we can hope for is a proper period of stabilisation AND growth heading into next year.

From a personal point of view - considering the series will be re-branded and run by Supercars in 2018 - I will be one of those fans who turns there attention to APCC and probably State Based Sports Touring.

I can't support Supercars efforts to marginalise Australian motorsport and AGT's decision to jump into bed with them is even more depressing.

I don't understand why people continually think that Supercars are going to take over GT to kill or marginalise it?

Is it just too extreme a thought for some that there may have been a change in philosophy in their management to embrace and support the other categories around them, because a strong sport as a whole will actually help their main game grow?

The prophecies of doom about their takeover of the 12 hour three years ago were worse than people talking about a North Korean nuclear attack - and yet the event is not only still here, but thanks to their input it is more commercially viable and actually cheaper for competitors to enter than in the past - with a better TV deal.

This knee-jerk reaction to being anti-Supercars the moment something is discussed has to stop because it's plain ridiculous.

As for the TV question.

Motorsport is three to four times more expensive to produce for live TV than a stadium-oriented sport.

For some events there is commercial strength in sponsorship or advertising return to pay for it. In others, like the Shannons Nationals, there is a user-pays system where someone has to fund the TV production. In this case, it's the categories who split the bill which can be an enormous drain on finances for competitors and the categories itself.

Someone has to pay, in the end, and we're lucky - I repeat, VERY FORTUNATE, that there has been so much free streaming around lately for people to embrace while others are willing to pay to keep it like that.

I can't help but be frustrated at times that there's not enough recognition of the fact so much is spent by competitors and categories and events to keep it free for punters to watch at home.

I'd add that the final Shannons Round at Wakefield this year wasn't originally down to have streaming coverage however efforts by two of the main categories involved will see that situation changed so people can watch it. For free.

Because there's little commercial return for it, believe me.

Just some perspective.
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick, Richo, RedZedMikey, James3592, MatCoch, Nath, Pierre, StueyB83, Tourer, Ryan Lee

More
13 Sep 2017 18:13 - 13 Sep 2017 18:22 #8869 by porsche91722
porsche91722 replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
Thanks Richard for your measured response. I’ll freely admit that I’ve been one who’s been critical of Supercars in the past. But there’s no doubt about their professionalism in running our top motorsport category in this country. You hit the nail on the head with the point about their apparent change in philosophy in supporting other categories, but let’s be realistic about this. They haven’t always been proactive in dealing with other categories, circuit owners and fans. People just don’t forget about that overnight.
“Someone has to pay, in the end, and we're lucky - I repeat, VERY FORTUNATE, that there has been so much free streaming around lately for people to embrace while others are willing to pay to keep it like that.

I can't help but be frustrated at times that there's not enough recognition of the fact so much is spent by competitors and categories and events to keep it free for punters to watch at home.”

If you are suggesting that we (the punters) should be grateful for the opportunity to watch motorsport, with respect, you’re kidding yourself! I love following all the sports that I’m interested in, but It strikes me as being a bit odd that some sporting bodies are fighting to expand their fanbases over their competitors, and yet expect fans to cough up in ever increasing amounts, to follow their sport of choice and now we are supposed to be grateful. Sorry…but that statement beggars belief. Do you really think that the average punter knows, nor cares about the costs of motorsport production costs over stadium sport costs?
You know as well as I do that fan attendance numbers for motorsport have been on a downward spiral in Australia. I’m old enough to remember the days of Calder, Oran Park, Amaroo, Lakeside and (the original) Surfers Paradise circuit being packed to the rafters with motorsport fans. Those days are gone. As I said in a previous post, they would kill for those numbers these days. Motorsport used to be considered a working mans sport to follow. The average bloke has more pressing things to do with his money, like putting a roof over his head, feeding his family, paying the kids sporting team fees etc. He’ll stay at home and watch a free stream or the free to air sport on TV rather than taking out a 2nd mortgage on his house to get into a Supercars event, these days, or cough up for a payTV subscription.
The prophecies of doom about their takeover of the 12 hour three years ago were worse than people talking about a North Korean nuclear attack - and yet the event is not only still here, but thanks to their input it is more commercially viable and actually cheaper for competitors to enter than in the past - with a better TV deal.
I don’t think anyone is denying that! And let's just add the point....it's a fta TV deal, and they get brilliant ratings! It’s a great event and I’d like to think that Supercars have learned from their success with the B12hr and may improve AustralianGT. Let’s face it, the present AusGT management need all the help they can get.
Ken Collier obviously saw the benefits of free streaming for the Australian GT championship main game when he made those comments last year, however for whatever reasons, they chose to backflip on that plan by the time their season got under way a few short months later.

"At the end of the day, endurance racing is the ultimate test for man and machine and that hasn’t changed a bit in the last 50 years" - Chris Amon
porsche91722.wordpress.com/
Last Edit: 13 Sep 2017 18:22 by porsche91722.

More
13 Sep 2017 21:34 #8872 by Nath
Nath replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/holt-30-ford-...g-gt4s-already-sold/

Lots of ponies being sold but no mention of any bound for australia. Honestly if i had the money to race in gt4 i would have been all over this car so I'm surprised we haven't had any confirmation regarding multiple cars coming out to aus yet.

More
14 Sep 2017 02:27 #8874 by RedZedMikey
RedZedMikey replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
I can see a few possible reasons for the lack of GT4 Mustangs coming here:
1) Multimatic giving priority to US based series - they haven't even got serious about Europe yet.
2) Potential Aussie racers holding back until they see how it performs against other GT4s.
3) Potential Aussie racers holding back until they see how the AGT/VASC structure for 2018 pans out - particularly with the CAMS event eligibility saga possibly rearing its head again at the end of 2018.
4) Waiting to see if a VASC Mustang gets off the ground, which might steal their publicity and promotability.

In reference to point 4, if Ford gave approval for a VASC Mustang, and it was taken up by PRA or DJRTP, I would love to see them extend that relationship by putting a GT4 Mustang or 2 in their program. Too much wishful thinking on my part, probably!

And in reference to point 3; given there have been hardly any new car plans for months now, in both GT3 and GT4, I think VASC, TQ/AGT, and CAMS need to resolve their positions and announce some 2018 structure asap so confidence can be restored, plans can be made, and cars ordered ...
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick, Kalekta

More
14 Sep 2017 10:19 - 14 Sep 2017 10:19 #8879 by P1 Racing
P1 Racing replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

Craillsy wrote:
I don't understand why people continually think that Supercars are going to take over GT to kill or marginalise it?

Isn't the instant rebrand of an established category an example of marginalising it - to fit in with the Supercars agenda?

Surely even a Supercars fan boi Craillsy, acknowledges the history and treatment of support categories would caution some fans & teams to question what the future holds?

Craillsy wrote: The prophecies of doom about their takeover of the 12 hour three years ago were worse than people talking about a North Korean nuclear attack - and yet the event is not only still here, but thanks to their input it is more commercially viable and actually cheaper for competitors to enter than in the past - with a better TV deal.

A better TV deal? Its been FTA for 12 hours since 2015 hasn't it?

As you are involved with the promoter Craillsy - any word why the campsite costs have increased by over 50% for this year? I can only imagine it relates to new and improved facilities for customers?

Craillsy wrote: This knee-jerk reaction to being anti-Supercars the moment something is discussed has to stop because it's plain ridiculous.

I respectfully disagree. The (V8) Supercars war on all things Australian motorsport for its personal gain has been waged for over 20 years now - nothing knee-jerk about it. Your closeness to the organisation I feel may be clouding your view here.
Last Edit: 14 Sep 2017 10:19 by P1 Racing.

More
14 Sep 2017 12:36 #8882 by Richo

Nath wrote: sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/holt-30-ford-...g-gt4s-already-sold/

Lots of ponies being sold but no mention of any bound for australia. Honestly if i had the money to race in gt4 i would have been all over this car so I'm surprised we haven't had any confirmation regarding multiple cars coming out to aus yet.

I did hear rumours out of Europe of someone entering two cars in conjunction with a Victorian Supercar team a while back but all I've heard since then is the Europeans had a falling out with a major backer and they're aiming at one car now.

• maverick
  • maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
15 Sep 2017 17:31 #8899 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
Pitlane's interview with Rod Salmon and his views on Supercars takeover of AGT.

lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fyo...UjUvgCAwqz2UCOcQ&s=1

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.

• maverick
  • maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 Sep 2017 06:38 #8907 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
Quinn expecting full Supercars takeover of AGT.

www.speedcafe.com/2017/09/16/quinn-expec...ars-takeover-aus-gt/

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.

More
16 Sep 2017 09:27 #8911 by Hingo
Hingo replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
I have been away from this forum for quite some time. Frankly, as much as I dislike Warburton, I am kind of relieved to hear that Supercars will take over for next year.

After promising streaming of every race online for this season with a plan to stand on its own, things looked really positive. Unfortunately Aus GT back-pedalled and fully dropped the ball on the broadcast front. As a fan, it is frustrating trying to follow this series and I don't really care for how people try to defend that.

The folks involved with Aus GT have done a fantastic job the past few years to bring this series into the public spotlight but it is time to take a step up and they clearly can't do it by themselves.
The following user(s) liked this post: Nath

More
16 Sep 2017 09:31 #8913 by Richo

maverick wrote: Quinn expecting full Supercars takeover of AGT.

www.speedcafe.com/2017/09/16/quinn-expec...ars-takeover-aus-gt/

Supercars will finally have real Supercars on its books haha

Maybe its time for a change. As long as Supercars does right by the competitors as that's the main thing that'll stop category growth and keeps the fans in mind which Im sure they will, it could be a good thing

More
18 Sep 2017 11:15 - 18 Sep 2017 11:16 #8954 by Craillsy
Craillsy replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

porsche91722 wrote: If you are suggesting that we (the punters) should be grateful for the opportunity to watch motorsport, with respect, you’re kidding yourself! I love following all the sports that I’m interested in, but It strikes me as being a bit odd that some sporting bodies are fighting to expand their fanbases over their competitors, and yet expect fans to cough up in ever increasing amounts, to follow their sport of choice and now we are supposed to be grateful. Sorry…but that statement beggars belief. Do you really think that the average punter knows, nor cares about the costs of motorsport production costs over stadium sport costs?
You know as well as I do that fan attendance numbers for motorsport have been on a downward spiral in Australia. I’m old enough to remember the days of Calder, Oran Park, Amaroo, Lakeside and (the original) Surfers Paradise circuit being packed to the rafters with motorsport fans. Those days are gone. As I said in a previous post, they would kill for those numbers these days. Motorsport used to be considered a working mans sport to follow. The average bloke has more pressing things to do with his money, like putting a roof over his head, feeding his family, paying the kids sporting team fees etc. He’ll stay at home and watch a free stream or the free to air sport on TV rather than taking out a 2nd mortgage on his house to get into a Supercars event, these days, or cough up for a payTV subscription.
I don’t think anyone is denying that! And let's just add the point....it's a fta TV deal, and they get brilliant ratings! It’s a great event and I’d like to think that Supercars have learned from their success with the B12hr and may improve AustralianGT. Let’s face it, the present AusGT management need all the help they can get.
Ken Collier obviously saw the benefits of free streaming for the Australian GT championship main game when he made those comments last year, however for whatever reasons, they chose to backflip on that plan by the time their season got under way a few short months later.

Thanks for the measured reply and a chance to discuss this (which is why this is the only forum I post on).

The argument of expanding a fan base versus taking Pay TV is driven by commercial considerations and the fact that in the current media market, you will always make far more money by doing a TV deal on Subscription TV than you will by selling another 10,000 tickets to punters. And that is not supposed to be either a for or against comment - it's a fact.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) the world has been in an interesting place for the last decade with regards to streaming.

Because it has been new technology and needed to get broad acceptance it was, for the most part, free to view.

Now more and more people can access it, it will increasingly become commercialised.

This, you will note, is exactly what has happened to TV.

An example of where it can have power though is making it work for both the fans and commercial considerations that are vital in making it work and the 12hr is again the best possible example.

Not only does the event have free to air TV but you can watch it in Australia on digital devices by the Channel 7 app.

Sure you have to sit through commercials but it works - 7 win because their advertisers get eyeballs and the fans win because they get a coverage they can watch everywhere.

Supercars is different because there is more money on the line. FOX Sports spent a huge amount to secure the rights and to drive subscribers (which has worked, incidentally). As such, they're not inclined to give it away for free and this is their right, of course.

But in the end the commercial benefits from such a deal will almost always outweigh the other side of the equation which is why Supercar, F1, AFL, NRL and almost all major sports are on that kind of a deal.

With respect to Ken's comments about Australian GT streaming - that was probably a comment of the time. The times changed and with the way things have worked behind the scenes, the scenario may have been a free stream with 10 cars this year running on their own with the issues that apparently created, or FOX TV and 25 cars next year under Supercars stewardship.

One of those ensures a stable championship that continues on, and the other does not and probably ended GT racing as a 'major' thing in Australia.
Last Edit: 18 Sep 2017 11:16 by Craillsy.
The following user(s) liked this post: Nath, Ryan Lee

Time to create page: 0.296 seconds