2018 Australian GT Championship.

More
09 Aug 2017 13:45 #8429 by James3592
James3592 replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

kiwikid_1 wrote: There was talk about the B12hr winning car being kept as a trophy.

I really hope they do that. It would look great in the Museum at Murrys Corner...

The Motorsport Nerd: A blog for all motorsport enthusiasts by a massive motorsport enthusiast. Check it out: motorsportnerd.wixsite.com/the-motorsport-nerd
The Motorsport Nerd is now on Facebook: www.facebook.com/themotorsportnerd/?view..._for=239217863187708

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• maverick
  • maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 Aug 2017 07:22 #8503 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
Mark Griffiths has purchased 4 Mercedes GT4's.

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.
The following user(s) liked this post: Richo, Nath, kiwikid_1, bennythejet

More
20 Aug 2017 11:06 #8524 by Nardulas
Nardulas replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
Excellent to hear there will be more cars on their way to Australia, but four of them? He can only drive one at a time, what's he planning with the fleet of them?

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
20 Aug 2017 11:19 #8526 by maverick

Nardulas wrote: Excellent to hear there will be more cars on their way to Australia, but four of them? He can only drive one at a time, what's he planning with the fleet of them?

Hoping for customers to drive them I'm gathering.
He might have ordered 4, but you get what they give you.

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.
The following user(s) liked this post: Nardulas

More
20 Aug 2017 11:40 #8528 by porsche91722
porsche91722 replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

"At the end of the day, endurance racing is the ultimate test for man and machine and that hasn’t changed a bit in the last 50 years" - Chris Amon
porsche91722.wordpress.com/
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick, Nardulas

More
20 Aug 2017 11:52 #8529 by Nath
Nath replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
Great news about the Merc Gt4's, lets hope they actually manage to make regular appearances on the aus gt grid.

Interesting post Porsche but with the news yesterday coming out that Warburton met with quinn and co yesterday i'm not sure your points are being recognised or will come to fruition.

If Aus gt further aligns with v8supercars we will be restricted to the very poor fox sports option. Without Free to air tv you are reducing your exposure enormously and I feel that v8supercars itself has suffered greatly by restricting its exposure to a much smaller potential view base.

More
20 Aug 2017 12:27 #8530 by Nardulas
The Foxtel coverage is the best we've ever had in Australian motorsport - for the minority who can see it.

I wouldn't mind leaving it on pay tv, just make the full race footage available after the event. Post it on YouTube a week later if you must. But the series has been harder to follow in recent years in my opinion
The following user(s) liked this post: James3592, Nath

More
21 Aug 2017 16:41 #8549 by James3592

Nardulas wrote: I wouldn't mind leaving it on pay tv, just make the full race footage available after the event. Post it on YouTube a week later if you must.

That would make me very happy...

The Motorsport Nerd: A blog for all motorsport enthusiasts by a massive motorsport enthusiast. Check it out: motorsportnerd.wixsite.com/the-motorsport-nerd
The Motorsport Nerd is now on Facebook: www.facebook.com/themotorsportnerd/?view..._for=239217863187708

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
04 Sep 2017 13:06 #8731 by maverick
No Highlands round in 2018.

www.velocitynews.co.nz/news.php?id=2035

More
04 Sep 2017 15:35 #8733 by StueyB83
StueyB83 replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

maverick wrote: No Highlands round in 2018.

An interesting development.

I can see this going this way:

Highlands gets a V8 round, which in turn pays for pit facility improvements to bring it more up to date, and the rest is history.

For your global GT3 photo fix: www.flickr.com/groups/gt3/
For deciding what to spray on your podium celebrations: champagnetipplers.wordpress.com/

For my guessed Entry List: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZaPzpOWO...K1Y/edit?usp=sharing

More
04 Sep 2017 16:06 #8734 by MatCoch
MatCoch replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

porsche91722 wrote: C'mon Australian GT you can do better
porsche91722.wordpress.com/2017/08/20/he...ur-diminishing-fans/

A couple of points to raise on this one, and I will try to be as candid as I can.

Firstly, there is a Network 10 post-produced highlights show that is broadcast following each of our events.

Because timings are different across the country it's a tough one for us to share, but if you keep an eye on your local guides there is coverage. We had a 60-minute package of the SMP501. I saw it. It was pretty good. As have been the other packages that have been put together at Townsville etc.

In terms of Australian GT aligning itself with 'Murdoch', that's not what we've done at all. We run on the best platforms available to us at any point in time. That means sometimes we run with Supercars, others with Shannons Nationals, and some with independently promoted events such as the Grand Prix, Hampton Downs, and Highlands.

Like it or not, Supercars is the biggest kid in class and the platform it presents is unrivaled in Australia. The television product it puts on is also superb, an absolute world leader in many respects. Typically we have every session broadcast, including qualifying. Before Foxtel was involved that simply wouldn't have been the case. Sure, there's a pay wall, and whether you choose to invest in that is totally your decision, however, there is nowhere else Australian GT can run and receive the same level of coverage and the same viewership.

We do track viewership of every round, along with a host of other statistics which are used to help us make decisions. There are other factors too, such as where the teams and drivers want to race. What's the point in having live television of an Australian GT event on a free to air network if nobody is interested in turning up?

There are huge costs involved in broadcasting motorsport, which need to be covered somewhere. To pass them on to competitors is one way of going about it, but that drives up entry prices and as a result, means less are inclined to turn up. It's a balancing act and one which can very quickly run up huge costs if not very carefully managed. If Australian GT was to run standalone events with free to air television, who pays to promote the event, who pays the track hire, who pays for television, who pays for marketing? How does one then sell that to potential sponsors, teams and drivers, and of course the television networks themselves. Even live streaming is expensive as, fundamentally, you've got the same setup and infrastructure requirements as live television.

It's not as simple as saying 'Australian GT should be on free to air and not doing so is a slap in the face for fans'. I would argue not investing in Foxtel where you have world class coverage is a slap in the face to the sport, given you clearly expect to get it for free. We have been spoilt with free to air coverage, but business models have changed. Television now provides incredible coverage, and for a few dollars a month I believe is an excellent investment. On average, Australians watch between 85 and 100 hours of television a month. At $50 a month for Foxtel, that's 50c/hour or thereabouts. What's it cost you to go to the movies? How much do you spend on a night out with the lads for a couple hours of entertainment?

Media Manager at Australian GT, PR scribe for Audi Sport Customer Racing Australia, host of Pitpass.com podcast, part time hack for Speedcafe and Auto Action, and freelance Motorsport journo. Views and typos are my won and don't necessarily reflect those of my employer, or those I'll hold tomorrow....
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick, StueyB83, kiwikid_1, SP2511, Ryan Lee

More
04 Sep 2017 16:31 #8735 by Shane001
Shane001 replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
Well explained Mat.

Though for some $50 a month is significant, if Foxtel didn't use this to force you into a premium subscription, if they just had a motorsport subscription for example, say $20 a month, I'd be all over it, and I'm sure a lot of the lost Supercars and F1 fans would be also.

What would be good though is if you could link to the FTA packages on tenplay on your website, so these can be viewed by fans anytime especially if they miss it.

More
04 Sep 2017 17:11 #8737 by James3592

Shane001 wrote: if they just had a motorsport subscription for example, say $20 a month, I'd be all over it, and I'm sure a lot of the lost Supercars and F1 fans would be also.

A package like that would seriously tempt me...

More
04 Sep 2017 17:14 #8738 by James3592

StueyB83 wrote:

maverick wrote: No Highlands round in 2018.

An interesting development.

I can see this going this way:

Highlands gets a V8 round, which in turn pays for pit facility improvements to bring it more up to date, and the rest is history.

I think Supercars would be good at Highlands. Perhaps a double-header with Pukekohe in 2018 could be in the works?

More
04 Sep 2017 19:12 #8741 by Nardulas
I've said on Facebook before that the Foxtel coverage is the best we've ever had, for those who can afford it. For those who can't, it's a bit of a pain.

Ideally, if Foxtel allowed me to pay for just the sports channels, I'd be all over that. Or, if the footage became available online a week or two after the event, that would allow Foxtel to retain subscriptions for those that want to see it live, and those who can't afford it can catch up at a later date without missing a beat.

Obviously, as Mat mentioned above, there are various reasons why these scenarios cannot eventuate, but in an ideal world I think that would be the best compromise

More
05 Sep 2017 00:00 #8744 by Ryan Lee
Ryan Lee replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
I'll happily pay for my Foxtel, even in HD with an added $10/month. Why, because as Mat said, if you're not investing, someone else is. If someone else is, that means they pay more. Fox won't release a motorsport only package, why, because they don't have to. Motorsport is only a small part of what they have to offer and other then top line categories like F1, they wouldn't be making them much money.

At the end of the day, it's harsh to say that the loss of support towards Supercars has come about as a direct correlation to Foxtel taking over. Frankly, I love the category, I'm paying to watch it. Yet, I can't even be arsed half the time. There is a decline in interest building for years now (from my perspective), it's not just because Fox took over.

GT racing in it's current form has a time frame. I think it's currently at it's peak and in the next 3-4 years, GT3 will begin it's decent from the highs that it currently enjoys. So, whilst it's here... I'll be enjoying as much of it as i can get! Thankfully, I'm headed to Highlands this year to enjoy what there is to offer!

More
05 Sep 2017 11:14 #8749 by TCR
TCR replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
I have never had Foxtel, as I just can't justify the cost per month based on how much I'd watch it. I would however pay $20/month to have access to a Sports channel that included Australian GT.

I'm assuming Foxtel have done all the figures and worked out that it's just not viable, but you got to wonder how many extra people would sign up to a smaller, more refined package at a lower cost of $20/month, rather than saying it's too expensive and giving it a miss altogether.

More
05 Sep 2017 11:54 #8750 by Shane001
I agree Ryan, Supercars was already declining, but the loss of FTA was several more nails in their coffin.

TCR puts it perfectly. I think a large percentage of Supercars and GT fans would be in this same category. How hard would it be for Foxtel to put together a $10/$20 motorsports package for live streaming? Imagine all the extra revenue they would get with all the lost FTA fans now tuning in.

Short sighted, out of touch, greedy media companies in this country have no idea!
The following user(s) liked this post: StueyB83

More
05 Sep 2017 13:57 #8751 by StueyB83
StueyB83 replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
I'd be in the same boat. I don't watch TV so outlaying $ per month for foxtel is wasted on me - not keen on paying for the superfluous services.. A streamlined subscription for GT and motorsport is all it would take for me to commit.

I understand there are costs involved in getting a stream up and running - equipment, personnel, logistics etc... and there needs to be a ROI on all that. So to me ANY system that fairly covers that and adds a little to the series coffers helps.

However first you must defeat long running GUARANTEED income that series receive by agreeing to have a foxtel package - basically its all presold and foxtel is minimising its risk of loss by forcing people to take an all-or-nothing approach to packages.

For your global GT3 photo fix: www.flickr.com/groups/gt3/
For deciding what to spray on your podium celebrations: champagnetipplers.wordpress.com/

For my guessed Entry List: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZaPzpOWO...K1Y/edit?usp=sharing

More
05 Sep 2017 14:00 #8752 by Shane001
Thing is Foxtel already provide a streaming service, it's called Foxtel Now.

All they have to do is create the motorsport plan, sit back, and watch as we all sign up ;)

Time to create page: 0.345 seconds