2018 Australian GT Championship.

More
26 Oct 2017 00:02 #9243 by CP
CP replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
Is there an entry list anywhere for Hampton Downs?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2017 00:10 #9244 by bcarr6
bcarr6 replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
Very well said Porsche91722.

This weekend looks a prime opportunity for entries and it can only muster 16 entries

I don't like to apportion blame, I can't however understand the what's going wrong

Yes damaged cars, challenge Bathurst. Those are issues not beyond repair. Better calendar planning, work to improve replacement part availability.

Blancpain Asia and China GT this year showed parts can reach that part of the world so why not Aus?

Great shame as it's a potentially fantastic series

More
26 Oct 2017 07:18 #9245 by Richo
Richo replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

CP wrote: Is there an entry list anywhere for Hampton Downs?

It should be out this week before the weekend.

Dailysportscar are reporting that deliveries of the BMW M4 GT4 have started and two teams in Australia have received theirs. Steven Richards Motorsport being one which is no surprise but it appears we have a new team that has one also Team KATO Racing by Tony Longhurst. Now that's a bit out of the blue. Assumed Tony had moved on after Bathurst 12hr.
The following user(s) liked this post: Nath

More
27 Oct 2017 00:31 - 27 Oct 2017 09:17 #9253 by Nath
Nath replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
We all knew for some time that the NZ rounds were going to see small fields. Disapointing...yes. Unexpected...no

Its the culmination of a difficult year. If you want to vent your frustration direct it at cams who have now stifled the chance for this series to boom under v8supercar management.

I dont see aus gt ever being a feeder category for supercars. Is it that hard to imagine that they see the benefit of their circus appealing to a broader fan base with the inclusion of of aus gt?. Quality series, good entrant numbers and more spectators all equals more $$$. They dont intend to reinvent aus gt just take it to the next level under their wing and reap the benefits. Gone are the tony cochrane days!

There are some reasonable driver combinations this weekend and even though i cant watch it ill follow the updates with some interest if not avidly.
Last Edit: 27 Oct 2017 09:17 by Nath.

More
28 Oct 2017 10:50 #9265 by P1 Racing
P1 Racing replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
Why is there the assumption of the series 'booming' under v8sc management Nath?

The series had great growth and sustainability in 2015/16 without v8sc management.

I am interested in your post about more spectators, entrant numbers etc = more $$$$$. More money for whom?

More
28 Oct 2017 16:59 - 28 Oct 2017 17:58 #9271 by Nath
I agree it had fantastic and rapid growth in entrant numbers for 2 seasons as part of a longer general upward trend in the last half decade+.

Its that kind of growth that grabbed a lot of motorsport fans attentions and if I'm being honest I was one who got caught in it and had been hoping for so much more from this season.

While there are very passionate fans for sports cars being realistic they are an absolute minority in comparison to the huge amount of fans who turn up for a v8supercar event.

Now it would be foolish to ignore the fact that the rapid growth has coincided with being on the bill of v8supercars at major events. Townsville, Adelaide and multiple sprint rounds. Sporadic appearances on the Australian GP support card in recent years has also helped.
But the point I'm getting to with this is that the huge growth has occurred in front of v8supercar crowds and coincided exactly with FOX sports extended coverage of support series on the bill at these events.

This is not a Aus GT versus Supercars thing as I absolutely hate half the crowd at a Supercar event but being in front of tens of thousands...sometimes 100,000+ spectators and being guaranteed plenty of air time is priceless to team owners and their sponsors.

A significant portion of the Aus GT field felt that it was so important to them that there were moves to split from AUS GT at the start of the season when it became clear that AUS GT management had effectively cut ties with v8supercars. They valued the air time in front of these spectators as important enough to rebel and attempt to create a new series under the v8supercar banner.

Effectively they had been told that they would no longer be spending a large portion of the sprint season at supercar events , they had lost their guaranteed sponsorship exposure both in person and through v8supercars FOX's broadcast. The best they could now hope for was maybe highlights on speedweek and some live streaming to a tiny audience.

The sad fact is that Australian motorsport fans are hugely apathetic. We will sit at home and watch it all day on tv but its only a comparatively small portion of us who actually go to events and its an even smaller portion who attend anything outside of v8supercars or the Australian grand prix. The fact is Supercars get bums on seats and an aweful lot of them. Having been to 3 motorsport events in the last 3 weekends I can tell you that apart from world time attack there are next to no people paying to attend events and the majority of the shannons rounds reflect that.

Supercars have the power to take Australian GT and make it a serious addition to their stable and broaden their audience. They aren't stupid, they know there is a market for Australian GT and quiet frankly I think the management would love to move away from the rougher elements that tarnish the Supercar image. They have the management and promotional skills to really strengthen the series.

Assuming they maintained a similar format as to what they have now, multiple or possibly all sprint rounds on the v8supercar calender it can only restart the upward trend. A couple of separate marquee events(endurance) either Supercar created and promoted events or strengthening the Shannon nationals as it does now would allow AUS GT to stand on its own two feet where appropriate.

Ultimately the competitors and GT management felt it was the best way forward as they signed up on it and the rebellion at the start of the season is evidence of just how much they value the association with Supercars.
Last Edit: 28 Oct 2017 17:58 by Nath.
The following user(s) liked this post: RedZedMikey, James3592

More
28 Oct 2017 18:03 #9272 by P1 Racing
I understand the theory of being on the v8sc schedule for the rounds to access tv and crowds. However I disagree that the growth paralleled with the V8SC events. Surely the growth of the GT3 category worldwide, Bathurst 12 Hour and the ease of GT3 being sold to Australian drivers were large contributors to the growth of the series?

A few questions though to test that theory:
1) How many drivers / teams have real sponsorships that are looking at TV numbers/crowd numbers for ROI?
2) What are crowd figures and tv numbers like at 7.30am when Australian GT begin running at V8SC events?
3) Equally - what is the comprimise with track time and garage facilities at v8sc events?
4) AGP and Clipsal 500 are both promoted outside of V8SC - if the AGTs want big event exposure the only option is not with V8SC

Please note to - there is no new series. There is only 1 Australian GT series owned by CAMS. We are talking about new management - not a new series/category.

More
28 Oct 2017 20:00 #9273 by Nath
The 12hr alone would have been a strong growth factor for the series as is the growth of gt3 world wide as you state so there more at play then just exposure clearly but ultimately it is what manufacturers, teams and drivers need.

GT3 is insanely expensive, I'm getting that you're suggesting that the owners have a lot of cash and foot a lot of the bills. But they didn't get rich by being foolish with their investments...they want to mitigate their spending..in this case stupendous amounts to field a gt3 car for a season. Sponsors and exposure are the answer to that problem. They are mutually exclusive. The teams rebelled because they lost that exposure and no doubt their personal wishes to race in front of a bigger audience.

I've previously mentioned multiple times that the endurance round at Eastern Creek (I'm assuming this is the start time you refer to) is poorly scheduled. The entire format of that race needs to be modified significantly if they want to squeeze an endurance round into a supercar event's schedule. I've watched Aus GT on fox for other rounds in front of very decent spectator numbers and at good times for viewers and spectators alike. I'm certain that their schedules would improve once under the supercar umbrella.
Lets not forget Tony started talking tough and basically gave supercars the finger prior to season start and that would have made any negotiations more difficult than need be this year.

100 percent there is a compromise with pit facilities of that there is no escaping. But its the price you pay for being on the under card of one of the biggest touring car series on earth. The plus side is you are racing in front of an audience that you will never ever get at a shannons or standalone Aus GT round and racing events they would otherwise never be able to pull off on their own.

Other options...are only AGP and Clipsal. There is nothing else that comes anywhere near that exposure other than v8supercars...and Clipsal is what it is because of Supercars. Its 2 rounds at the very start of the year in close proximity and then its crickets for the rest of the year watching you.

Of course...the only series we are talking about here is Australian GT.

Anyway I'm content in my mind with the huge potential this deal has/had and I'm sure there are negatives as well but it is clear for me at least that this deal was going to secure a very strong future for Aus GT after a year where the future has appeared anything but strong for the category.

More
28 Oct 2017 20:57 #9275 by Nath
Thinking about it there are two ways to look at it I guess. You have the entrants who can afford to be there on their own and they race for themselves and there wish's are for maximum track time, best possible facilities, most convience most attention etc. But the series rapid rise has seen commercial aspects come into play as well as the desires of fans.

As its popularity increases so do the desires of the fans for more pro drivers, more pro teams etc. More rounds, bigger and better races mean more expenditure but also more opportunities for growth.

Last year we seemed to be on course for the series becoming a reasonable mix of pro's and am's. That got fans excited...because the element we want to see is hard racing between drivers of higher skill in awesome machinery. Fans mean sponsor opportunities and in gt3 a lot of manufacture exposure to the buying public. You might not be able to afford a R8 but an audi fan might be able to buy an rs3. Winning fans and the flow on effect is essentially where I'm coming from with the merger argument.

From this perspective the merger with v8supercars is a no brainer. For the extremely wealthy car owner/team who doesn't need as much exposure or necessarily want it then racing with v8supercars can become a compromise they didn't need or want. But how many years can little exposure be sustained for and is it economically viable?

I really think v8supercars are capable of finding a decent medium that allows Aus gt to reach higher potential in the Australian motorsport landscape than it otherwise could have while still keeping the paying gentleman drivers happy and pleasing fans of high quality racing at the same time.

On the other hand its possible that we may now see the benefits of a closer relationship with v8supercars moving forward...think better scheduling, sprint series further aligned with v8supercars and a flow on effect of more attention to the endurance series albeit without the ownership changing hands and there still being plenty of endurance opportunities for the incumbent owners who weren't part of the rebellion to race in an environment and schedule that suits there wishes.

There's a lot of uncertainty right now that needs to be put to bed either way.

More
29 Oct 2017 11:08 #9279 by P1 Racing
If exposure and television time is the only thing the entrants want - then for sure the V8SC is the answer.

However atleast from what I have heard from competitors - is that they value track time, consistent scheduling and good facilities.

I am also still struggling with how many teams have commercially viable sponsorship that they are in fear of losing?

The 501 at Hamptons Downs today is a great example - Live television, live streaming and a decent crowd. All achieved without a V8SC event.

The 12 hour is another example - look at what that event achieved without v8sc involvement.

I think its very short sighted that there is an assumption that v8sc is the only option and answer to Australian GTs future.

On a sidenote - I would also contend that street circuits are not a good fit for GT3 machines. Proximity of concrete walls, yellows and the non flow of the tracks stifle good racing. How many competitors have we lost in 2017 due to large crashes on street circuits
The following user(s) liked this post: PremierV8

More
31 Oct 2017 15:19 #9301 by James3592

• maverick
  • maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
31 Oct 2017 15:52 #9303 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

James3592 wrote: No Clipsal in 2018:

australiangt.com.au/2017/10/31/australia...adelaide-500-in-2018

:(

Wow, just wow.

Statistically most "rock spiders" have spent some time in their lives as a church youth group leader.
Think about that.

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
31 Oct 2017 16:05 #9306 by maverick

Statistically most "rock spiders" have spent some time in their lives as a church youth group leader.
Think about that.

More
31 Oct 2017 16:17 #9307 by kiwikid_1
kiwikid_1 replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

maverick wrote: The GT4 Merc's are coming in a big way.

lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fww...o_u0NfKsHV83t96w&s=1

I like what Mark has to say about no pro's. Its going back to the way GT3 used to be.....could be fun to watch

More
31 Oct 2017 20:15 #9311 by CP
No Australian GT at Adelaide is a surprise, it's even more surprising that they replaced it with the Audi R8 LMS Cup. No doubt that would be a good get if they turn up, unlike what happened when the organisers tried to entice the Asian Ferrari Challenge to run at Adelaide.

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
31 Oct 2017 20:20 #9312 by maverick

CP wrote: No Australian GT at Adelaide is a surprise, it's even more surprising that they replaced it with the Audi R8 LMS Cup. No doubt that would be a good get if they turn up, unlike what happened when the organisers tried to entice the Asian Ferrari Challenge to run at Adelaide.

Am i correct in remembering that the Ferrari Challenge didn't make it to the grid either ?
This reeks of a Clipsal/VASC/Asian love fest.

Think about that.
The following user(s) liked this post: Richo

More
31 Oct 2017 20:54 #9314 by CP

maverick wrote:

CP wrote: No Australian GT at Adelaide is a surprise, it's even more surprising that they replaced it with the Audi R8 LMS Cup. No doubt that would be a good get if they turn up, unlike what happened when the organisers tried to entice the Asian Ferrari Challenge to run at Adelaide.

Am i correct in remembering that the Ferrari Challenge didn't make it to the grid either ?
This reeks of a Clipsal/VASC/Asian love fest.

Ten points for you Glen CoCo.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2014/12/04/f1-demo-replaces-458-challenge-clipsal-500/

If the Audi Cup doesn't come to Adelaide, maybe they could follow suit and have some demonstration laps in R8s, R10s, 15s and 18s.

That sounds rather appetising.

More
31 Oct 2017 22:55 #9315 by James3592
James3592 replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
Is the Crocodile R8 from '00 still in existence? That would make a nice showpiece...

More
31 Oct 2017 23:54 #9316 by mayhem
mayhem replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
I'm not sure who is involved in all this meddling and mismanagement of the GT3 category in this country, but between Quinn, CAMS, Supercars and maybe one or two others, someone (or some people) have done a tremendous job in stunting the progress of the category in this country. This latest decision not to have the series appear at the Adelaide (not Clipsal) 500 is the latest in a long line of weird/bad/surprising decisions around the category.

Its all a bit of a worry how quickly and seemingly badly this has all occurred. Where has it all gone wrong, and is there light at the end of the tunnel?

Photographer for hire.
The following user(s) liked this post: Richo, Nath

More
01 Nov 2017 13:30 - 01 Nov 2017 13:30 #9326 by Richo
Richo replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
The light at the end of the tunnel seems quite far away now when it seemed a lot closer just a month ago :(

Replacing AGT with LMS Cup is pretty poor, Australia GT has always provided big grids at every Clipsal it has attended with many people showing interest in the cars in the paddock so this doesnt make a lot of sense.Even with the category in a downturn at the moment its encouraging to see how many people who go to Clipsal were disappointed to hear that GT wont be back next year.

Hopefully the Audis don't appear and some smug bastards get to eat humble pie.
Last Edit: 01 Nov 2017 13:30 by Richo.

Time to create page: 0.319 seconds