2018 Australian GT Championship.

More
05 Oct 2017 23:45 #9098 by CP
CP replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

maverick wrote: Will we see a round of AGT at Bathurst next October ?

They are production type cars,

and GT cars were part of GTP back in the day,

and the GTP showroom showdown was good viewing as a kid,

So I vote yes.

An Aus GT 2 hour enduro on the Saturday afternoon would be good viewing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2017 14:37 #9103 by bennythejet
bennythejet replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
I used to love watching the showroom showdown. I would be happy with one longer race for them. The only problem is the majority of short races this weekend are crash fests and end up spending most of the race under safety car. But a saturday lunchtime slot would be good.

More
10 Oct 2017 07:58 #9127 by Nath
Nath replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
Honestly any racing at the mountain is great and i have enjoyed gt sprint racing there in the past but it would come with significant chance of major damage. The plus is an enormous crowd and tv audience and the likely hood of 2 or 3 races shown live. Its a big carrot to dangle in front of sponsors.

Supercars will be in 2 minds, do we keep the focus on the v8s solely for this weekend, or do they add even more value to the weekend and build up interest and potential spectator numbers for the 12hr.

At the very least i think its a real chance.

• Mosport Fan
  • Transplanted Canadian in Oz.
More
10 Oct 2017 08:12 - 10 Oct 2017 08:13 #9129 by Mosport Fan
Mosport Fan replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
Does anyone know if a 2018 calendar has been finalised yet? I would suspect a fair number of events may align to Supercars but wouldn't expect all.

I know the B12H is a standalone event at the moment, but would venture a guess most AGT teams participate? I know it's costly for some teams, but wouldn't that make sense to make it a season opener?

The Bend looks like it might be a good venue on the long circuit- suspect not the same weekend as Supercars since you'd need more marshals to crew more corners (I can't see Supercars running an entire 7.7k circuit)

Hoping to get a few more GT events in next year.
Last Edit: 10 Oct 2017 08:13 by Mosport Fan.

More
10 Oct 2017 09:54 #9130 by Richo
Richo replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

Mosport Fan wrote: Does anyone know if a 2018 calendar has been finalised yet? I would suspect a fair number of events may align to Supercars but wouldn't expect all.

I know the B12H is a standalone event at the moment, but would venture a guess most AGT teams participate? I know it's costly for some teams, but wouldn't that make sense to make it a season opener?

The Bend looks like it might be a good venue on the long circuit- suspect not the same weekend as Supercars since you'd need more marshals to crew more corners (I can't see Supercars running an entire 7.7k circuit)

I wouldn't think the calender would be finalised until end of year especially with Supercars taking over management recently so they'll take a bit of time to get up to speed with the championship and what is required of next year.

Hoping for one calender and not another one down the track like this year.

• maverick
  • maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 Oct 2017 08:10 #9175 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

Mosport Fan wrote: Does anyone know if a 2018 calendar has been finalised yet? I would suspect a fair number of events may align to Supercars but wouldn't expect all.

We'll all have to wait a little longer for the 2018 calender.
www.speedcafe.com/2017/10/18/supercars-a...-amid-cams-decision/

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.

More
18 Oct 2017 11:33 #9177 by CP
Does the optimistic taking over include all Aus GT categories?

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 Oct 2017 09:16 #9184 by maverick

CP wrote: Does the optimistic taking over include all Aus GT categories?

Would assume so.

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 Oct 2017 18:44 #9193 by maverick

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 Oct 2017 20:59 #9198 by maverick

More
19 Oct 2017 23:03 #9200 by CP
There you go, I thought CAMS only involvement was being governing body, and not owning the class outright? Now the banning and unbanning of GT3/4 cars in anything other than Oz GT makes sense.

More
20 Oct 2017 10:03 #9201 by Nath
Nath replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
I'm not sure if I'm understanding the implications of that article completely correct but right now from my perspective I read that as CAMS weren't happy with the financial implications for them...eg they weren't getting a large enough slice of the pie so blocked the deal. Would that be on the right track?

What a huge disappointment for the category.

I hope that v8supercars and Aust GT work together to create what v8supercars had planned for next year albeit without the category actually changing hands at least for now.

Aus GT has stalled this year and really needed this move.

More
20 Oct 2017 13:37 #9206 by Alan53
Alan53 replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
Whoever is running this series they will pass the cost of the CAMS fee along to competitors.So effectively CAMS want to increase their "tax" take from GT competitors after 2020 as they are unwilling to continue the existing rate after that date.
Not in the interests of GT competitors and anyway weren't CAMS boasting in their last annual report about how well they were doing financially and the level of reserves they had even after the F4 folly.

More
24 Oct 2017 17:33 #9224 by Pierre
Pierre replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

“It is important to note that CAMS owns the rights to all FIA GT Categories, which includes GT Sprint, GT Endurance and the GT Trophy.

“The commercial rights to manage these categories are subject to a Category Management Agreement (CMA) currently held by Australian GT Sportscar Pty Ltd for each of these classes.

Must admit I'm struggling to understand the commercial nuances here. Initial reaction is that it doesn't feel right that a governing body would have anything to do with commercial rights, but on further reading that's probably my ignorance speaking as it seems consistent with how the FIA does things.

I just hope CAMS is acting in the true interests of the category and not just their pockets. The Supercars deal seemed like a positive change on the whole.
The following user(s) liked this post: Richo

More
24 Oct 2017 23:57 #9229 by bcarr6
bcarr6 replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
As an outsider I'm kinda baffled by the condition of Aus GT at the moment.

There's some fantastic cars around to run in the series, surely a sensible option can be figured out??

More
25 Oct 2017 12:21 #9238 by P1 Racing
P1 Racing replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
Australian GT forms 2 of 4 National Championships in Australia. Its not that unsurprising that CAMS doesn't want them sold for a pittance to form a feeder series for V8 Supercars.

Could CAMS see Australian GT as the headliner for 2018 and beyond Shannons Nationals?

I am still confused as to what the GT competitors actually want? Is it big events, track time, longer races, shorter races, good track facilities, Live TV, Big Crowds, streaming, Pro / AM, all Pro, all AM???

There are so many contradictions. If they figure out what they collectively all want - the answer shouldnt be that hard.

More
25 Oct 2017 13:05 #9239 by Dazza
Dazza replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

P1 Racing wrote: Australian GT forms 2 of 4 National Championships in Australia. Its not that unsurprising that CAMS doesn't want them sold for a pittance to form a feeder series for V8 Supercars.

Could CAMS see Australian GT as the headliner for 2018 and beyond Shannons Nationals?

I am still confused as to what the GT competitors actually want? Is it big events, track time, longer races, shorter races, good track facilities, Live TV, Big Crowds, streaming, Pro / AM, all Pro, all AM???

There are so many contradictions. If they figure out what they collectively all want - the answer shouldnt be that hard.

I think that is where the drama lies - they all want something different. When they don't get it they chuck a wobbly & everything turns to :blink: :blink:

More
25 Oct 2017 15:39 #9240 by P1 Racing
Agreed. The best example is Hampton Downs this weekend.

Priority track time and facilities, Live Television, streaming and a good crowd on hand and only 16 put their hands up?

What is missing?

More
25 Oct 2017 17:45 #9241 by porsche91722
porsche91722 replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
I’ve already had my say on what I think of this clusterfuck of a series, and laid it on the line to their PR man. He chose to take his bat and ball and run home crying instead. That’s history!
Interesting now, that they choose to live stream the Hampton Downs race this weekend. As I said to him at the time…..they made their bed with their ever decreasing fan base. They wanted their cake and to eat it too. Pleasing the competitors or the sponsors and fans? It appears they’ve shat on all the parties equally.
Sixteen entries? Is that all they’ve got, at what should be one of their showpiece events?? The sooner they get this shitstorm sorted out and have VASC’s take over, the better. I’m guessing that they’ll have some “extra’s” along the lines of the MARC Focus’ and Mazda’s to bolster their ranks at Hampton Downs.
Wow, this would be a championship to win….. wouldn’t it!! Something you could brag to the grandkids about. What a joke!

"At the end of the day, endurance racing is the ultimate test for man and machine and that hasn’t changed a bit in the last 50 years" - Chris Amon
porsche91722.wordpress.com/
The following user(s) liked this post: bcarr6

More
25 Oct 2017 18:33 #9242 by P1 Racing
I for one don't want VASC to take over. It will turn into just another feeder series that wont be allowed to grow out of fear of detracting from the v8sc series.

New management is obviously needed - however until the competitors can be clear on what specifically they are looking for, no management is going to succeed.

Time to create page: 0.298 seconds