2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4

• Mosport Fan
  • Transplanted Canadian in Oz.
More
04 Feb 2018 20:30 #10690 by Mosport Fan
Mosport Fan replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
appears Mr. Bagnall had a bit more than initially thought.

www.speedcafe.com/2018/02/04/audi-driver...pelvis-bathurst-12h/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2018 20:36 #10691 by Pierre
Pierre replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
70 year old? Crikey.

More
04 Feb 2018 21:03 - 04 Feb 2018 21:04 #10692 by Pierre
Last Edit: 04 Feb 2018 21:04 by Pierre.
The following user(s) liked this post: mtpanorama, Mosport Fan, Nardulas, Michael Myllynen

More
04 Feb 2018 21:37 #10693 by GeeEmm
GeeEmm replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
Nobody is asking why two cars avoided hitting the Audi before Martin arrived. It's obviously not because they saw AND responded to the yellow flag is it... This is just another demonstration of what can happen when drivers think they are above the rules.

I would have thought last year's incident when we had one car run into the back of another under the safety car might have opened a few eyes but apparently not.

More
04 Feb 2018 21:57 #10694 by mayhem
mayhem replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4

jdyort wrote:

Mosport Fan wrote: Announced 3 day crowd of 41,000 and change- apparently a 3% increase from last year. Keep it small and simple I say.

Really surprised with that number. To me, it felt like the crowd was down 15 to 20% on last year. Admittedly I didn't get up the top over the weekend. The paddock camping ground was comparable to 07.

Agreed. Numbers seemed down all around the track, not massively, but enough to be noticeable.

Photographer for hire.

More
05 Feb 2018 05:17 #10695 by Mechanic Z
Mechanic Z replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
A shame the race ended that way, hope all involved are okay.

Pretty awesome to see Black Swan take a step on the overall podium and Pro-Am win. Great way to represent the USA.

Would have loved to see how the fuel strategies played out, I think if it had stayed green we might have watched a battle between Lieb and Campbell for the win.

Regardless, well done to WRT, they ran a great race.

More
05 Feb 2018 10:30 #10698 by BRP
BRP replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4

Pierre wrote:

BRP wrote: Security guard telling people on the entry to the top of the mountain that access is available only to campers all day up the top. Asked him what the point of buying the mountain pass is and that my ticket has given me access to the top all weekend. He says it's what he's been told and it's campers only.

Really hope this bloke hasn't listened correctly to the information he's been given.

Wouldn't be the first secco to get it wrong this week. Curious to hear how that panned out.

Yeah that gate to head up the top was interesting all weekend. First they took my bar code from my ticket so had to get a reprint. Apparently they did it to a number of people. Then old mate yesterday morning. I saw cars driving up but when I went up I just took the bus. Was happy with my parking space.

• Axeman444
  • My Member is New
More
05 Feb 2018 10:34 #10700 by Axeman444
Axeman444 replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
I may get shouted down when I write this however to me Chaz has been a little hard done by in the Media and other drivers. He was to the left of Estre half way through the Esses when Estre went right for a sniff on Kane, and then Estre moves left and closes the door on Mostert. Chaz could probably have lifted more but Estre definitely had a part to play in the initial bump. Chaz was pushing him out of the dipper but it wasn't whacking into him all the way down the hill as alluded to by I think one of the Bentley team from memory in the aftermath interview

Then at the elbow. Kane has presence of mind and stayed left to clear Booker, Estre was not in train behind him but moved right. If Estre had followed Kane in train, there was at least initially room for all 3. There may not have been by the time they got to the kink 200m further down the road where it narrows, but they may have cleared Booker also (or Booker may have backed out). If they clear Booker, horsepower decides the order by the time they get to the chase.

Don't get me wrong Chaz isn't innocent, but I don't think he was any more guilty than others, and his guilt was more around impatience than lack of control.
The following user(s) liked this post: mayhem

More
05 Feb 2018 14:17 #10703 by CP
CP replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
I am curious as to whether Competition Motorsport had the edge on fuel to grab a podium spot to get ahead of Craft Bamboo and Black Swan.

Jamie Whincup has also come out and said that he was affected by fumes in his GT GT3. I wonder if that is a common issue with the SLS/GT GT3 as Greg Crick was affected by the same thing a few years ago?

• maverick
  • maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
05 Feb 2018 17:16 - 05 Feb 2018 17:20 #10707 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4

GeeEmm wrote: Nobody is asking why two cars avoided hitting the Audi before Martin arrived. It's obviously not because they saw AND responded to the yellow flag is it... This is just another demonstration of what can happen when drivers think they are above the rules.

I would have thought last year's incident when we had one car run into the back of another under the safety car might have opened a few eyes but apparently not.

There is video out showing not only no double waved yellows, but no yellow at all at the post before the stranded Audi.

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.
Last Edit: 05 Feb 2018 17:20 by maverick.

More
05 Feb 2018 17:45 #10708 by Pierre
Video of the incident:

video.twimg.com/amplify_video/9600373326...kK5u3qTKgtvuETYS.mp4

If you're able to view that on a large screen, you will see a flag finally come out at the 42 second mark (left edge of picture). The Merc is already about to hit at that point.

It looks like a white flag too, although that could be a colour issue with the video. Either way something definitely seems to have gone wrong at that post.
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick

• maverick
  • maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
05 Feb 2018 18:23 #10711 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4

Pierre wrote: Video of the incident:

If you're able to view that on a large screen, you will see a flag finally come out at the 42 second mark (left edge of picture). The Merc is already about to hit at that point.

It looks like a white flag too, although that could be a colour issue with the video. Either way something definitely seems to have gone wrong at that post.

If that is as it looks then it's totally unacceptable.

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.
The following user(s) liked this post: Nath

More
05 Feb 2018 19:19 #10712 by Nath
Nath replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
At arguably the most dangerous part of the circuit the flag marshalls should be of the highest experience/ability and ready to react as quickly as possible.

What happened there is a travesty and put drivers at huge risk, ultimately sending them to hospital with reasonably serious injuries. The incident and the inaction following it also robbed race fans and manufacturers a truelly great finish to the race.

The way the entire top of the mountain packed up and walked away from the track without a smile or cheer to be seen or heard is very telling for how disapointed people were in what transpired.

Procedures must be reviewed and changed after an event strewn with long and lengthy safety car periods and an unacceptable incident.

More
05 Feb 2018 20:18 #10715 by CP
CP replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4

Pierre wrote: Video of the incident:

It's yellow, but yeah, that flag did seem a little late. I noticed on the telecast that they now have lighting up there, so were there yellow lights activated before that marshall post?

More
05 Feb 2018 20:55 #10716 by Pierre
Not a fascinating video

However, those pixelly figures on the left include myself and Brad having a bitch about boring sponsor runs taking up track time. I tried to cross paths with Webber all weekend, and it turns out this was the closest I got.

(Spot the Shakedown banner too.)

More
05 Feb 2018 21:19 #10718 by johnh875
johnh875 replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
They ditched one of the support categories for the Porsche sessions didn't they?

More
05 Feb 2018 22:40 - 05 Feb 2018 22:42 #10720 by McLaren Oz
McLaren Oz replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
Would anyone have recorded the race off 7mate and be able to please burn onto a couple of discs for me? Would cover all costs!!
Cheers!!

Also, saw a couple of lads over the weekend decked out on Lambo gear. Any chance we might see Grasser coming down next year?
Last Edit: 05 Feb 2018 22:42 by McLaren Oz.

More
05 Feb 2018 23:52 - 06 Feb 2018 00:04 #10724 by GeeEmm
GeeEmm replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4

McLaren Oz wrote: Would anyone have recorded the race off 7mate and be able to please burn onto a couple of discs for me? Would cover all costs!!
Cheers!!

I'll be in that, happy to cough up for it too!

Regarding the question of the presence or otherwise of a yellow, there is a screenshot around from the #19 in-car video which appears to show a yellow at the flag post prior to the immediately up-track flag post - ie if this is in fact a yellow flag, it would presumably have been triggered by a yellow waved from the flag post in question, and it would imply that the Merc passed two flag posts displaying yellows. I wonder if we will ever know for sure.

ETA Just watched the HD video, the ones I had seen before were much poorer quality. It certainly seems to show the yellow only coming out after the Merc has passed the post, around 16 seconds after the Marc and the Audi went past the flag post in the course of their coming together. 16 seconds! Were they packing up already?!

Regardless, I hope that it prompts an improvement in yellow flag/safety car behaviour by drivers.
Last Edit: 06 Feb 2018 00:04 by GeeEmm. Reason: Updated post

More
06 Feb 2018 05:33 #10727 by Michael Myllynen
Michael Myllynen replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
This may have already been discussed, but has Code 60 been considered for the 12 hour? It may have prevented the Walsh-Martin collision if it had been called quickly enough as all cars must slow immediately regardless of where they are on track. I am sure that if it has been considered then the tightness of the track across the top of the mountain would be a strong argument against it.

A shame about the timing of the accident as it seems to have robbed us of a great finish (and more importantly a 911 victory).

All the best to Andrew, Ash and John with their recoveries.

More
06 Feb 2018 09:14 - 06 Feb 2018 09:39 #10731 by porsche91722
porsche91722 replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4

mayhem wrote:

jdyort wrote:

Mosport Fan wrote: Announced 3 day crowd of 41,000 and change- apparently a 3% increase from last year. Keep it small and simple I say.

Really surprised with that number. To me, it felt like the crowd was down 15 to 20% on last year. Admittedly I didn't get up the top over the weekend. The paddock camping ground was comparable to 07.

Agreed. Numbers seemed down all around the track, not massively, but enough to be noticeable.

Numbers were definitely down, at the bottom and up the top. The bullshit figures that they quote, when they count you in and count you out, results in this rubbish. We would have accounted for approx 12 (my son & I) on both Saturday & Sunday, adding figures of 24 over the weekend to their dodgy accounting numbers. It's impossible to gauge accurate attendance figures at this place, but I would hazard a guess & say it was closer to around 10000 on the Saturday and 16000 on Sunday and the majority of those attending on Saturday would have been there on Sunday as well. BUT, HEY.....Lets count them twice or whatever! The better question would be - How many event admission tickets did they sell?

My thoughts on the weekend-

The race- absolutely brilliant (when they were actually under green)

The number of safety cars- absolutely shithouse....bring on a code 60, as soon as possible. The reasons they are talking about, for not implementing it are not insurmountable. Don't bring it into play, and the result is clear from what we witnessed on Sunday!

The result- As a Porsche fan, I was very pissed off at about 5.30pm on Sunday arvo. On one hand I would have liked to see the clock stopped, a clean up take place and a run to the checkered flag, but they made the right call under the circumstances. That's racing. Wasn't the first time and it won't be the last. Again....the code 60 may have made a difference.

Corporate involvement was massive this year and that is fantastic. I just hope they keep it in check as far as the areas that are now getting harder to access.

The vibe was again brilliant all weekend. Just wandering around the pit area on Saturday and seeing all the Le Mans winners and stars of sports car racing wandering about and all making themselves available to chat with the fans and having pics taken is great. Bring on B12hr 2019.

"At the end of the day, endurance racing is the ultimate test for man and machine and that hasn’t changed a bit in the last 50 years" - Chris Amon
porsche91722.wordpress.com/
Last Edit: 06 Feb 2018 09:39 by porsche91722.

Time to create page: 0.487 seconds