2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4

More
07 Feb 2018 10:40 #10770 by Ryan Lee
Ryan Lee replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
I'll write a review tonight when I get home from Brisbane, but, the MARC II Mustangs were seriously quick! In the right hands they were in the 6's whilst they were generally as quick or quicker then the Class B cup cars.

If we were to cut a class, surely that would be it. Class A, Class B becomes GT4 and Invitational. The fastest lap of the #40 last I saw well into the race was a 2:19, one of the slowest cars on the grid. Having a couple of cars in the class doesn't help either.

I'd much prefer to see the Radical support class dropped in favour of a one make cup category that has a 1 hour race after the shoot out. Something like the Porsche Cup Cars allowing international entrants or, invite the Asian Audi Cup LMS or Lamborghini Super Trofeo category then run some wildcards.

My opinion, for what it's worth anyway.
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2018 12:22 #10774 by mayhem
mayhem replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
Yeah I think Class B will be dropped, small entry numbers and relatively slow lap times have called time on that category IMO.

I still say it would be good to get the NZV8s here as a Saturday arvo mini-enduro. But the Radicals have surely got to go.

Photographer for hire.

• James3592
  • Away
More
07 Feb 2018 12:54 #10775 by James3592
James3592 replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4

Ryan Lee wrote: invite the Asian Audi Cup LMS or Lamborghini Super Trofeo category then run some wildcards.

This ^^^

More
07 Feb 2018 14:48 #10779 by Ryan Lee
I just can't see the NZV8s competing. Main reason would be the cost of getting the category over here. Secondly, I'm not sure if I want them here, V8s get there time of year, this is the time for the sportscar.

Something like Audi LMS Cup or Super Trofeo could be entered with a bit of manufacturer support. It would be great to see and keeps in line with the weekend really well.

The Group S was good as it showed the historic side of it. Frankly, in my opinion. Combined Sedans didn't even have a place. Make it a category, not just a track session for every car that couldn't find another to race in.

No point having 50+ cars if you can't even race due to safety cars etc.

More
09 Feb 2018 10:59 #10794 by Pierre
Pierre replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
Mostert's purple lap in the dark.

The video's a bit glitchy, but the lap is super smooth.
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick, Axeman444

• Axeman444
  • My Member is New
More
09 Feb 2018 14:57 #10801 by Axeman444
Axeman444 replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
Almost like he's out for a country drive by himself isn't it. I realise he knows the track well, but to do that without brilliant lighting...

Short shifting up Mountain Straight?

More
09 Feb 2018 16:45 #10807 by racer69
racer69 replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
I'd rather they didn't play with the format of classes too much, I thought it was pretty good as it was this year.... I could probably take or leave the Porsche-Only Class B but what do you replace the entries with? The grid wasn't ultimately over subscribed as was.

More
09 Feb 2018 16:51 #10809 by Ryan Lee
removing Class B would open the grid up to a few more cars, capping the grid at 50 would be a good number i think. With a max 35 Class A cars. Add 10 Class B (GT4) and then you have 5 invitational.

More
11 Feb 2018 09:35 #10825 by CP
CP replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
According to a well known internet pundit/media type, only 200000 watched the 12 Hour on 7mate this year compared to 234000 last year. Person believes that the figures could be caused by the lack of flow of the race, or the use of FIA driver rankings and the use of Balance of Performance.

• The conversationalist formally known as Goat69
  • The conversationalist formally known as Goat69's Avatar
More
11 Feb 2018 10:35 - 11 Feb 2018 10:38 #10827 by The conversationalist formally known as Goat69
The conversationalist formally known as Goat69 replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
Well another race is run and won but i know everyone has been waiting and really the only reason to be on this forum is for the annual Dads army bathurst photos. There are some classics. If you look closely you can nearly see the shakedown sticker on the viper image. You must be so proud Mav. I do have one photo (of Mav) that can't be posted due to the adult nature of the image and this being a g rated site.

Baron Peck Peckington III
Last Edit: 11 Feb 2018 10:38 by The conversationalist formally known as Goat69.
The following user(s) liked this post: mayhem, jdyort, Miguel, Pierre, Dazza, kiwikid_1

• The conversationalist formally known as Goat69
  • The conversationalist formally known as Goat69's Avatar
More
11 Feb 2018 10:39 #10828 by The conversationalist formally known as Goat69
The conversationalist formally known as Goat69 replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
But the best photo of the weekend is this. Jim would be proud that i go all of it in frame!

Baron Peck Peckington III
Attachments:

• maverick
  • maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 Feb 2018 10:49 #10829 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4

The conversationalist formally known as Goat69 wrote: Well another race is run and won but i know everyone has been waiting and really the only reason to be on this forum is for the annual Dads army bathurst photos. There are some classics. If you look closely you can nearly see the shakedown sticker on the viper image. You must be so proud Mav. I do have one photo (of Mav) that can't be posted due to the adult nature of the image and this being a g rated site.

I wait in incredible anticipation for your 12 shots and you haven't let me down, they are incredible :cheer:

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.
The following user(s) liked this post: The conversationalist formally known as Goat69

• Miguel
  • GT REPORT
More
12 Feb 2018 04:09 #10835 by Miguel
Miguel replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
The following user(s) liked this post: Pierre, StueyB83, Dazza

More
12 Feb 2018 09:06 #10836 by Pierre
Pierre replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4

CP wrote: According to a well known internet pundit/media type, only 200000 watched the 12 Hour on 7mate this year compared to 234000 last year. Person believes that the figures could be caused by the lack of flow of the race, or the use of FIA driver rankings and the use of Balance of Performance.

I'd be curious to hear more of his thoughts on that. Those aren't topics that the average TV watcher would be familiar with. I'd assume that the availability of ad-free streams, and the lack of certain manufacturers, would also play a part in the 7mate numbers.

• StueyB83
  • GT-Report.com
More
12 Feb 2018 11:57 #10837 by StueyB83
StueyB83 replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
The viewer figures are still decent.

It depends on what you want the race to become - its pretty solid as it is.

To back up last year with an equal level of engagement was nothing to sneeze at - considering the obstacles to engagement.

Last year had Whincup/Lowndes vs SVG/Engel in top tier cars and that on its own was a major draw card for followers of V8 which this years line up didnt quite get. I was more than happy with the driving talent in the race and felt the match ups were beyond anything we've seen, just that familiarity among the general public is nto as strong :).

We also had the absence of two very popular brands from this years race - particularly Nissan who bring a high level of fan engagement with their racing activities.

Yet to fly in the face of all of this - and grow track side numbers - is a great feat in itself and should be applauded.

It is very surprising how many people I tell about the 12 hour and they have no idea of its existence. Once I show them the pictures, their interest piques. I'm not trying to convert established petrol heads here in Aus because most have a preset and cult like attitude to the main game racing series.

But there are certainly new groups that can be tapped into for greater engagement as we move forward.

Mech Eng. & Scribe for GT-Report.com

For deciding what to spray on your podium celebrations: champagnetipplers.wordpress.com/
The following user(s) liked this post: Mosport Fan, Pierre

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
15 Feb 2018 15:54 #10854 by maverick

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.

More
16 Feb 2018 13:23 #10858 by bennythejet
bennythejet replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
Where there any bop changes in the last year. Because the audis and mercs in last years race were a fair way off the pace but in this years race they were all fairly equal.. except for the early morning bmw pace. It was good to see.
The following user(s) liked this post: Fast Eddie

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 Feb 2018 15:49 #10859 by maverick

bennythejet wrote: Where there any bop changes in the last year. Because the audis and mercs in last years race were a fair way off the pace but in this years race they were all fairly equal.. except for the early morning bmw pace. It was good to see.

Audi received a small restrictor plate bonus for the 12 hour and certainly seems like it helped.

More
19 Feb 2018 21:43 - 19 Feb 2018 21:48 #10880 by Nath
Nath replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
Few weeks down the track and ive found the time and gotten over the extreme anti climax of a finish to post!

One thing i seemed to notice more this year than any other was just how poor some of the driving was in the class B porsches and invitational class. I spent the majority of the day at the top of the mountain and to say some of the drivers in these cars were off the pace was an understatement. This then translated into very awkward passing/yielding moments. Even the marc mustangs had some shockers. I felt it was more an issue of driver quality in these cars creating the issues as they were fine wirh guns behind the wheel. This race imho was created as a multiclass event and the variety makes it special just like the N24hr..so no change vote from me.

Like last year it seemed like every genuine contender was determined to end their own race or faced some bad luck. For a short while their jamec pem was looking a shoe in for a one two!.

How livid must BMW be, Chaz showed incredible pace all day and should have won the race easily. Seems he thought it was the 1000 with 10 laps to go and made a rash decision. Felt sorry for bentley and the porsche team/driver.

With an amazing run to the flag about to produce an incredible finish i knew something would ruin the green running.

I can tell you the feeling of everyone on top of the mountain when it was declared was complete disapointment. A crowd who had been their since 4am and were primed for an amazing finish felt gutted and left the circuit feeling extremely unfullfilled. This shouldnt be allowed to happen. I understand there are police processes involved but i believe there was time a plenty to finish a race under green had it been paused and cleaned up. Yes its a timed race, but fans make the race happen and 250,000 (all sources)fans were very unhappy with what transpired.

Having witnessed the flag marshalls at the top all day i can say two things. They need highly trained and mentally/physically capable people. I witnessed confusion between flaggies, old men gesturing angrily and walking between flag points while the track was going back to green because someone wasnt doing something correctly, i also saw youngsters who probably shouldnt be in that position either.

Imho there needs to be multiple lights installed around the entire exterior of the top of the circuit in short intervals so nothing can be missed and the people manning the points which activate these lights have to have better capablilities than what i witnessed.

I also feel the inside walls of the circuit on the apex leading up to where the accident occured and after it could be pushed back without changing the nature of the actual track itself. It would provide more vision on the run through that apex and also prevent the secondary impact that frequently occurs when a car hits both walls.

Dont get me started on the recovery times and processes during the day either...
Last Edit: 19 Feb 2018 21:48 by Nath.
The following user(s) liked this post: Richo

Time to create page: 0.374 seconds