2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4

More
06 Feb 2018 10:21 #10733 by mayhem
mayhem replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
My take:

Once again I have to stress to anyone with any pull how great that Thursday free range access to the pits is. One driver I spoke to said how cool he thought it was. And it's all self policed, I am yet to see any dickhead type behaviour, long may it continue.

Supports were okay, the Combines sedans were interesting, Group S were also good, but the Radicals? Even the commentators said at one stage that people seen them as a chance to have a slash. I know it's unlikely, but I'd love the BNT V8's to get a call up.

The racing was okay, a pretty empty way to end the race and a shame there were so many drivers injured this year, I hope all are recovering well as I type this. I feel like there was a hole in the entry list with no Ferrari, no Nissans and no Astons. For me, the race felt a little flat compared to previous editions, although I'd definitely cop the same weather each year!

Another thing I noticed a little more than previous years was the huge margin in speed of GT3s to everything else. I witnessed a bunch of close calls mainly due to impatience, but sometimes due to slower cars becoming unpredictable when the fast ones were baring down on them.

Can someone tell me, were there less big screens than in previous years? I thought there was always one at the Chase, and one on the inside of Turn 1, but maybe I'm confusing it with the 1000?

All in all, a good event, and as always I'm counting down to next year.

Photographer for hire.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• StueyB83
  • GT-Report.com
More
06 Feb 2018 11:05 #10734 by StueyB83
StueyB83 replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
I went around all accessible parts of the track and I feel the quoted number is certainly realistic - not a booming growth as we've seen - but growth none the less.

All 3 campsites were full.

The Saturday night pit walk was certainly the busiest I've seen it.

It was on the level with last year - and as someone who enjoys the ambience and accessibility currently afforded by the volume of people attending - that's not a bad thing.

Nissan's absence I think certainly played into the "apparent" retraction of people - because the GT-R brings a different cross section of crowd.

What we can hope for is an increase in Japanese Manufacturer involvement - because that brings about its own group of followers that will see an expansion its in own right.

A great event that has much of the formula down pat. As always - there are tweaks to be made. John Casey has done a bang-up job of listening to us fans, and working to the pressures of other important stakeholders to get this thing humming along.

Mech Eng. & Scribe for GT-Report.com

For deciding what to spray on your podium celebrations: champagnetipplers.wordpress.com/

• StueyB83
  • GT-Report.com
More
06 Feb 2018 11:12 - 06 Feb 2018 11:13 #10735 by StueyB83
StueyB83 replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
The race itself certainly had a very German feel to it, with Bentley being the main disruptive force.

Shame to see the #17 entry lose out like it did.

The end was anti-climactic - but given the last, what, 4 years of close finishes - we can be afforded a year where its just not feasible, and I'm happy the drivers involved in that accident are able to recover and race on.

Year on year people lament the number of safety cars - but that's the nature of Bathurst - and every year those same people put their eye balls on the event despite its crash heavy nature.

In the short amount of years since they opted to put GT3 cars in the field the race has become an instant classic - with as much weight as the enduro's at Spa and the Nurburgring in terms of significance.

Look at how much Porsche and BMW has spent competing this year....

Mech Eng. & Scribe for GT-Report.com

For deciding what to spray on your podium celebrations: champagnetipplers.wordpress.com/
Last Edit: 06 Feb 2018 11:13 by StueyB83.

More
06 Feb 2018 12:17 - 06 Feb 2018 12:18 #10736 by Pierre
Pierre replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
Interesting Twitter poll from Kelvin. I'm a fan, but you'd be forgiven for thinking that he doesn't feel fully responsible for his incident. (Or it's just a talking point, and I'm reading too much into it.)

Last Edit: 06 Feb 2018 12:18 by Pierre.
The following user(s) liked this post: StueyB83

More
06 Feb 2018 13:15 #10737 by BRP
BRP replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
Can say that I enjoyed my first 12 Hour. As others have said in regards to the team access I found it fantastic that there was such interaction between fans and teams. I feel this has been lost over the years at sporting events in general and due to the amount of idiots and the way they act. I did the 12 Hour survey and stressed on this that it's something I hope isn't lost.

The race in general was great and seeing the cars coming down the Straight and the speed differences between the classes was exciting. I can say that there is a new GT racing fan here. Also enjoyed the crowd size and behaviour of the crowd. Sometimes through the day I just kicked back and had a beer and a chat with people and didn't see anyone misbehaving at all.

This forum is also great with the amount of knowledge and the dinner to meet a few members I enjoyed. Look forward to seeing you all again next year. I've also taken a few pics of the weekend and will add more to the albums as I go on and thanks to Chris for the photography guide.

www.facebook.com/bradredfernphotography/
The following user(s) liked this post: mayhem, Mosport Fan, Pierre

• maverick
  • maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
06 Feb 2018 15:35 - 06 Feb 2018 15:36 #10741 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4

Pierre wrote: Interesting Twitter poll from Kelvin. I'm a fan, but you'd be forgiven for thinking that he doesn't feel fully responsible for his incident. (Or it's just a talking point, and I'm reading too much into it.)

He said that during practice he was able to use the same line as the one he crashed on as they sweep the track each day and it didn't have the huge amount of marbles on it, but by late in the race it obviously became an issue.
The guy is an immense talent and what a vote of confidence to get the qualifying thumbs up over Tander, but I have a problem when a rookie makes an obvious mistake and then decides that the event needs to change which he obviously believes it should.
With the Marc cars coming on board, is it safe to say that slower traffic should be less of an issue than it's ever been and the impatience of some GT3 drivers is making it an inflated issue ?

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.
Last Edit: 06 Feb 2018 15:36 by maverick.
The following user(s) liked this post: mayhem

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
06 Feb 2018 16:16 #10742 by maverick
After having a bit of time to reflect, it was another great event.
The only negative about the event in previous years has been the heat, so the mild conditions this time were most welcome. As everyone has said again and again the driver/team/car access is a major drawcard to the event and our International fans are very envious. I spoke with John Casey at the event and he is well aware of the attraction of it.
I was there from the Wednesday morning and it's a great opportunity to chat with the drivers etc.
Great to see that various manufacturers had merchandise available which has been missing previously to this degree.
Too much to talk about with 12 hours of racing, but my wish pre event was that we'd have half a dozen cars battling it out at the end and that's what we had with an unfortunate ending.
Costly mistakes from VDLinde and Mostert and a mechanical issue on the #74 who IMO would have taken the victory.
With BOP your manufacturer gets a fairly small window of a few years to have the ammunition to win the event, so for the second year in a row BMW have missed a big opportunity.

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.
The following user(s) liked this post: mayhem, Pierre

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
06 Feb 2018 16:52 #10744 by maverick
Ash Samadi said his brakes went to the floor and he's still in hospital.

More
06 Feb 2018 17:05 - 06 Feb 2018 17:06 #10745 by Pierre
Pierre replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
Ouch. In the sea of safety cars I'd forgotten about his off. This weekend certainly sent a few to the hospital.

On that topic, CAMS have released a statement to Speedweek regarding the big one. It seems a bit... what's the polite word for pissweak?

“CAMS can confirm that its officials followed correct procedure at Bathurst on Sunday,” read a statement issued to Speedcafe.com.

“We constantly review track safety to ensure circuits meet strict safety standards and as part of that, we will always review any incident and the surrounding circumstances.

“We will continue to work with the FIA and the track operator to ensure these high standards are maintained.”

www.speedcafe.com/2018/02/06/drivers-cal...-safety-mt-panorama/
Last Edit: 06 Feb 2018 17:06 by Pierre.

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
06 Feb 2018 18:09 #10747 by maverick

More
06 Feb 2018 19:04 - 06 Feb 2018 19:19 #10748 by GeeEmm
GeeEmm replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
The question is not whether they followed correct procedure (they did, we can see the flag waving in the video), but the speed at which they followed correct procedure. CAMS has sidestepped that question.

Were the yellows going out as the Audi and the Marc hit opposite or before the flag post and then travelled further along towards Macphillamy?

If not, when did they go out? Were they out for Martin? He doesn't say it, but I read the Speedcafe article as Martin saying the yellow was not out (not in so many words, but that is how I read his comments).

Interestingly, if the preceding flag post put out the yellow for the Audi/Marc incident because it happened in their zone, and left it out although the cars had left their zone (because the two cars were obviously going to be parked nearby), that could be the yellow that seen in the #19 on-board. That would be an interesting dilemma for Martin, a yellow, next post nothing - no yellow, no green - what to do? May also shed some light on his vagueness about the flags in the article.

Some good suggestions about lights, but they still need someone sufficiently alert to hit the button quickly.
Last Edit: 06 Feb 2018 19:19 by GeeEmm. Reason: grammer
The following user(s) liked this post: mayhem

More
06 Feb 2018 19:17 #10749 by GeeEmm
My take on the weekend.

Weather was a great improvement over last year.

Crowds were similar, maybe a few more, maybe not. Lots of people up top, bogan element seemed diminished, though at the end of the day alcohol was making its presence evident. Impressed with the lack of rush to rubberneck at the big one.

Sunday was good day, somewhat spoiled by the number of SC interventions. What is it with wheels coming off?! Very disappointed at the damp squib of a finish, but from the second impact it was clear that was how it was going to finish.

Did I mention the improved weather, good on yer V8SC!

Ticketing control needs more work, especially the mountain access pass and the lack of main entry ticket sales on Thursday.

Will I be back? Highly likely, especially for the dinner!! It, and being part of the Daytona event, certainly improved my event.
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
06 Feb 2018 19:24 #10750 by maverick

GeeEmm wrote: The question is not whether they followed correct procedure (they did, we can see the flag waving in the video), but the speed at which they followed correct procedure. CAMS has sidestepped that question.

Were the yellows going out as the Audi and the Marc hit opposite or before the flag post and then travelled further along towards Macphillamy?

If not, when did they go out? Were they out for Martin? He doesn't say it, but I read the Speedcafe article as Martin saying the yellow was not out (not in so many words, but that is how I read his comments).

Interestingly, if the preceding flag post put out the yellow for the Audi/Marc incident because it happened in their zone, and left it out although the cars had left their zone (because the two cars were obviously going to be parked nearby), that could be the yellow that seen in the #19 on-board. That would be an interesting dilemma for Martin, a yellow, next post nothing - no yellow, no green - what to do? May also shed some light on his vagueness about the flags in the article.

Some good suggestions about lights, but they still need someone sufficiently alert to hit the button quickly.

I read a comment from John saying that he didn't see any yellows. I'm not sure if he mean't at the last post before the accident or at all.

• The conversationalist formally known as Goat69
  • The conversationalist formally known as Goat69's Avatar
More
06 Feb 2018 21:30 #10755 by The conversationalist formally known as Goat69
The conversationalist formally known as Goat69 replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
I did see an idiot walking away with the WRT pitboard and lollipop stick. Lucky security were all over it.

Baron Peck Peckington III

More
07 Feb 2018 08:07 #10760 by GeeEmm
I saw someone with a complete wheel/tyre, rolling it up the road away from the back of the pits. Saw a couple of people carry a used tyre.

More
07 Feb 2018 08:18 #10763 by Joe04
Joe04 replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
I found the race pretty hard to get into watching from a far (UK) with all the safety cars in the first half of the race, eventually it did begin to settle down and it turned out to be a good race with an anti climatic ending, fortunately the drivers involved seem relatively ok, I think one of the Porsches would of won... not sure which one however which made it even more exciting.

I think the organisers have some decisions to make in the future regarding the entry, do they go GT3/GT4 only and risk upsetting people like MARC cars who bought 8 cars to the event, or keep on the same path? Maybe a similar scheme such as the Nurburgring license system is needed to race at Bathurst, seemed to be a lot of incidents with slower cars, if anything there was less slower cars than previous years as well.

I race an SR3 RSX in the UK radical championship so watched a bit of the Radical races, they are brilliant to drive and I can only imagine what they are like to drive round Bathurst but I agree %100 pretty boring to watch!

Hopefully back down there watching at the grate next year :)
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick, mayhem

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
07 Feb 2018 08:34 #10764 by maverick
I'd be shocked if the organisers pulled the pin on the Marc cars.

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
07 Feb 2018 09:19 #10766 by maverick
Some of the Competition Motorsport techs/engineers were at breakfast at my hotel on Monday morning and they were extremely disappointed as they believe they had enough fuel and a big shot at winning.

More
07 Feb 2018 09:25 #10767 by mayhem
mayhem replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
The Marc II cars are lapping pretty competitively, I wonder how long the first evolution of their cars will be around for? Is there a conversion kit available to turn the Marc 1's into Marc 2's? Or are they completely different?

Photographer for hire.

• James3592
  • Away
More
07 Feb 2018 09:47 #10769 by James3592
The following user(s) liked this post: Pierre

Time to create page: 0.462 seconds